Hitting the road? Ask questions about dining out anywhere, and post your trip reports here!

San Fran, Napa, Tahoe, Yosemite

Moderator: Robin Garr

User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

San Fran, Napa, Tahoe, Yosemite

by JustinHammond » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:40 am

The wife and I are taking a driving tour through San Fran, Napa, Tahoe, and Yosemite in May. Does anyone have any must see's, do's, or eats's?
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: San Fran, Napa, Tahoe, Yosemite

by Robin Garr » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:53 am

From a wine perspective, consider splitting your wine country time between Napa and Sonoma. Equally great wineries, but Sonoma is perhaps more scenic and still relatively casual and friendly. The two regions have very different personalities, and it would be a shame to spend all your time in traffic on Napa's main highway and not get to Sonoma at all.
User

John Greenup

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:03 pm

Oldham County

by John Greenup » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:14 pm

I'm not a connoisseur of wine, but have become very fond of a Sonoma-grown Chardonnay called "Schug", produced by Schug Carneros Estate Vineyards, which can be purchased locally (Liquor Barn sells it)....it is perhaps the best Chardonnay I've drank, with a smooth -- almost creamy -- finish....so if you're passing through the Sonoma area, might be worth a stop....

...as far as restaurants, one suggestion in San Francisco would be the Tadich Grill located on California St. (in the Financial District)...reputed to be SF's oldest continually-operating eatery (c. 1849), they offer a wide-ranging menu, with some emphasis on seafood...not sure they have a website, but Google the name and you'll likely get some hits...
Last edited by John Greenup on Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I want to go where the hand of man has never set foot."

-- Samuel Goldwyn
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

by Linda C » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:48 am

Hi! We just returned from our 6th visit to wine country. We have visited the Lodi region, the Mendocino coast and Anderson valley as well as many other areas in Napa and Sonoma counties. As Robin said, Sonoma valley is the less touristed and more enjoyable place to taste and visit. There are few wineries in Napa that charge less than $10 for tasting, where most in Sonoma are free or no more than $5. There are scads of tour buses and limos in Napa, where only the largest in Sonoma will allow that. We really enjoyed Healdsburg and Geyserville on this visit. For a fun tapas style dining place, try Willi's in Healdsburg. Another favorite was Manzanitas with its' wood burning oven. Santi's was a big favorite of ours in Geyserville, but it is moving. Next door is the delightful Diavolana's, run by Santi's former chef who trained in italy for 9 years. They do hand tossed oven roasted pizzas which are the best I've had in the USA. No kidding. In fact, they were as good as we had in Lugano. Thin, toasty crust, fresh buffalo mozza, thin rich sauce and fresh herbs. So good, we went twice in three days. You can write me at llindac@aol.com and I'll send you our tasting notes from this trip.