Hitting the road? Ask questions about dining out anywhere, and post your trip reports here!
no avatar
User

Ellen P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:44 pm

Downtown Indy restaurants/brew pubs?

by Ellen P » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:58 pm

We'll be there this Friday thru Sunday, staying downtown. Hopefully we'll have a good reason to still be there Sunday. Anyway, recommendations for dining? bars? The UL sports forum I read has made some suggestions, but I'm not certain I should trust the guys on this one. (We tend to favor brew pubs and don't want to spend $50 on an entree.) Thank you for your help. Go Cards.
User

Todd Antz

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 11, 2007 12:37 pm

Clarksville, IN

Re: Downtown Indy restaurants/brew pubs?

by Todd Antz » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:06 pm

In downtown Indy, you have several brewpubs to choose from. There is the RAM, Rock Bottom, and Alcatraz all in the downtown area. Ram and Rock Bottom are pretty good, the Alcatraz I can do without. There is a BW3's downtown that carries good beer as well. If you want to venture out of downtown a bit, there is the Brugge Brasserie and the Broad Ripple Brew Pub in the Broad Ripple area, which is about 15 - 20 minutes out of downtown.

Here is a link to the beerfly page on BeerAdvocate.com for Indy: http://beeradvocate.com/beerfly/city/41 You can click and get all the reviews and other information you might want for the area.
Keg Liquors
Keeping Kentuckiana Beer'd since 1976
http://www.kegliquors.com

617 E. Lewis & Clark Pkwy
Clarksville, IN 47129
812-283-3988

4304 Charlestown Road
New Albany, IN 47150
812-948-0444
User

John Greenup

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:03 pm

Oldham County

by John Greenup » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:51 pm

Ellen, if you get a hankerin' for superior deli food, head for Shapiro's (808 S. Meridian)...you can check-out their menu at http://www.shapiros.com -- DON'T leave Indy without visiting Shapiro's!!
"I want to go where the hand of man has never set foot."

-- Samuel Goldwyn
User

Paul Mick

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:38 am

Downtown

by Paul Mick » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:06 pm

I've never been to the actual Brugge Brasserie, but I have had their beer before. If you're a fan of Belgians, I would definitely check it out.
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."--J.R.R. Tolkien
User

Anderson Grissom

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:18 am

Downtown

by Anderson Grissom » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:49 am

What about some more swanky places downtown? I will be there Friday and Sunday and would very much like to see what nightlife there is to be offered in Indy. Outstanding cocktails and food are a plus...
User

Clay Cundiff

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:54 am

by Clay Cundiff » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:13 am

I'd like to second Todd's advice about making the short trip to Broad Ripple. None of the downtown brewpubs are anything special, but Broad Ripple makes really good beer and Bruuge just flat out amazing for both food and beer.
User

Jon K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:22 pm

by Jon K » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:17 am

Anderson Grissom wrote:What about some more swanky places downtown? I will be there Friday and Sunday and would very much like to see what nightlife there is to be offered in Indy. Outstanding cocktails and food are a plus...

Sorry, no recommendations. But, I had an absolutely atrocious meal at the St. Elmo steak house in Indy earlier this month. Definitely would give it a pass.
User

John Greenup

{ RANK }

Foodie

Oldham County

by John Greenup » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:10 am

Jon K wrote:
Anderson Grissom wrote:What about some more swanky places downtown? I will be there Friday and Sunday and would very much like to see what nightlife there is to be offered in Indy. Outstanding cocktails and food are a plus...

Sorry, no recommendations. But, I had an absolutely atrocious meal at the St. Elmo steak house in Indy earlier this month. Definitely would give it a pass.

"Atrocious"?!
Would like to hear more about that experience....have always enjoyed good dining at St. Elmo's...what's happening up there?

-- Samuel Goldwyn
User

Jon K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:22 pm

by Jon K » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:35 pm

John Greenup wrote:
Jon K wrote:

"Atrocious"?!
Would like to hear more about that experience....have always enjoyed good dining at St. Elmo's...what's happening up there?

Was with a party of 8. Two steaks were not prepared to order. One diner (who is an enthusiastic carnivore) said that he had had many meals at St Elmo that were good, but his steak was mostly gristle - far from prime. Not being a meat eater, I ordered salmon. Usually at high end steak houses I find the seafood to be very good. Not that night. The fish was overcooked and plopped down on a pasta that had a cloying sweet miso sauce. Might have just been an off night, but that was what happened that evening.
no avatar
User

Sue H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 05, 2007 12:08 am

by Sue H » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:41 pm

I recommend The Slippery Noodle for a bar. It's the oldest bar in the city and always has great blues music for entertainment. (Slipperynoodle.com)
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:14 pm

I second the Noodle. They do have food there, but I don't remember what kind. Bar food, I suspect. But, oh! the music.
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
User

John Greenup

{ RANK }

Foodie

Oldham County

by John Greenup » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:19 pm

The online edition of the C-J has a link ("Eat, Drink and be Merry in Indy") with Metromix/Indianapolis that lists and describes restaurants, bars and nightspots around the city....

-- Samuel Goldwyn
no avatar
User

Ellen P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ellen P » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:01 pm

Thanks for your tips and the links. Will definitely stop in 3 or 4.
no avatar
User

Ellen P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ellen P » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:44 pm

We'll be at the Hyatt through Sunday. Depending on basketball, I have mapped out your downtown suggestions, and have heard of Broad Ripple and will head out there Sat. or Sun. Apparently there is an Italian concept our daughter wants us to try on 86th. Thanks again. Go Cards.
no avatar
User

Aaron M. Renn

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 12, 2007 7:10 pm

by Aaron M. Renn » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:21 am

For all things beer in Indy, check out the Hoosier Beer Geek:

http://www.hoosierbeergeek.blogspot.com/

Downtown there are several brew pubs as noted. The Wholesale District area near the stadiums is a bit 4th St. Livish for my taste.

Scotty's Brewhouse (1 Virginia Ave - Corner of Washington/Penn) has a pretty good beer selection and is a big sports bar.

The Slippery Noodle has tons of character as noted.

I might suggest if you are a beer fan, go to MacNiven's on Mass Ave. It's about 15-20 minute hike from Circle Centre Mall. Also on Mass Ave the Chatterbox is good.

If you are looking for swanky, you are looking in the wrong place. You might consider the bar at the Oceannaire (yes, a chain) or Nicky Blaines or the bar at the Conrad Hotel.

I have found that St. Elmo's has subpar steaks, a pathetic collection of non-steak dishes apart from their shrimp cocktail, and questionable service. Having a drink in the bar with some shrimp is a lot of fun, however.
Next