Hitting the road? Ask questions about dining out anywhere, and post your trip reports here!
no avatar
User

Aaron M. Renn

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 12, 2007 7:10 pm

Re: Downtown Indy restaurants/brew pubs?

by Aaron M. Renn » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:24 am

Ellen P wrote:We'll be at the Hyatt through Sunday. Depending on basketball, I have mapped out your downtown suggestions, and have heard of Broad Ripple and will head out there Sat. or Sun. Apparently there is an Italian concept our daughter wants us to try on 86th. Thanks again. Go Cards.

I hope I'm not too late - but probably am. Broad Ripple is mostly super-cheesy bars appealing to college and immediate post-college people. It is also inconveniently located to downtown (62nd St.). If you go there, Brugge Brasserie is the place. Or the Broad Ripple Brew Pub. Chumley's is a hard core party bar that also has a great beer selection.

I'm not sure what the "Italian" concept is, but if you want good Italian, the place is Capri's on Keystone - http://www.capriindy.com/ If you are dining on 86th St. (think Shelbyville Rd), you'd best hope it is Oakley's.
no avatar
User

Aaron M. Renn

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 12, 2007 7:10 pm

by Aaron M. Renn » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:26 am

By the way, as you might guess, I live part time in Indianapolis (part time in Chicago). If you are ever going to either of those places you should shoot me an email (google me) and I'm happy to arrange for a good time.

For the foodies, the place you need to go is Goose the Market. http://www.goosethemarket.com/ It's as good as any small specialty grocery in Chicago. Chris Eley is a miracle worker with charcuterie.
no avatar
User

Ellen P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:44 pm

by Ellen P » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:56 pm

Thanks for everyone's input. We had so much fun staying downtown that we didn't drive anywhere - that was mostly the reason for staying downtown anyway. (We choose our road trips by the location. If we lose, Indy's not such a bad place to be. Morgantown WVA and Lexington KY are no longer on our list of travel destinations:-)

We consumed much more drink than food so there are no food reviews. Brought some food from home since we had a refrig.
Some drinks at the Hyatt. Bottles of 'Bud' (not me) were $4.50. Mai Tai and scotch - $21. (Staff underestimated how much UL fans drank.) I don't think some people left that bar except for our games.

Ate and drank at Rock Bottom while watching Villanova/Pitt game. We have been to the ones in Cincy and Milwaukee. (Packed. Standing room only.)

Ram. Plastic cups. I should have insisted on glass but we were there after midnite for a couple of hours drinking with MSU fans. Packed after their game. Young fans were trying to get me to do Jager shots. No. I don't like sweet drinks and I don't do shots. I will drink all day and night but I have to draw the line somewhere:-)

Glad we stopped in at the Slippery Noodle. Great atmosphere. Stayed in bar area. $13 for 2 beers, I believe.
(Smoking bar. Under 21 not allowed.)

Jillians twice because it was the 'official' UL fan headquarters. Some food. Not bad but very limited menu. No salads. Great bartendar both times. Said that when Denny was there Friday, it was the loudest it had ever heard it.

Didn't get to Shapiro's deli but made up for it by going to Stevens & Stevens deli yesterday. Our first visit - the hours have kept us from stopping in.
Previous