Hitting the road? Ask questions about dining out anywhere, and post your trip reports here!

Seattle bound

Moderator: Robin Garr

no avatar
User

Jim Zoeller

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:35 pm

Middletown

Seattle bound

by Jim Zoeller » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:29 pm

Hey all,

The wife, kids, and I are headed to Seattle in early June. I'm looking for any suggestions you may have. For the most part, we are looking for family-friendly, but we are definitely not scared off by any dives, shacks, etc. Seafood, pizza, burgers, home-cooking, breakfast, donuts, and everything in between. Thanks in advance.
Jim Zoeller
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Seattle bound

by Robin Garr » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:10 pm

Jim, I have happy memories of Seattle because Mary and I were married there in 1989, and we've been back a few times. I'm afraid my memories aren't current, but with that caveat (based on more recent visits than 1989!) ...

Wild Ginger is or was very popular for "fusion," perhaps distant kin to Louisville's Asiatique.

Ivar's Salmon House, used to be on the piers but I think it moved; great casual place for alder-smoked salmon.

Bai Tong, on the highway just a short distance north of Sea-Tac airport: A Thai place originally opened by and designed for Thai Air crews but open to the public. Great Thai fare. Don't be put off by the appearance - it apparently took over from a one-time drive-in restaurant!

Jim Zoeller wrote:Hey all,

The wife, kids, and I are headed to Seattle in early June. I'm looking for any suggestions you may have. For the most part, we are looking for family-friendly, but we are definitely not scared off by any dives, shacks, etc. Seafood, pizza, burgers, home-cooking, breakfast, donuts, and everything in between. Thanks in advance.
no avatar
User

MichelleJ

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:47 am

Highlands

by MichelleJ » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:26 pm

Portage Bay Cafe in the University District is a great family friendly breakfast spot. They have a wide variety of pancakes including a "toppings bar" with just about anything you can imagine (from fruits and nuts to syrups) to top your pancakes with. And very fine pancakes they are.
Consuming Louisville
very good things to do, buy & eat in the River City

http://www.consuminglouisville.com
no avatar
User

Catherine Davidson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:53 pm

by Catherine Davidson » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:06 pm

Hal's niece is flying in tomorrow from Seattle where she's lived for a number of years. She's in the business. I'll ask her for her favorites. CD
If you wish to make an apple pie truly from scratch, you must first invent the universe. Carl Sagan
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:05 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Jim, I have happy memories of Seattle because Mary and I were married there in 1989

Robin, if Mary has no objection - we'd love to see a wedding picture of the two of you. Or maybe we should start a "old photos of forumites" thread in the F&F forum. I'm just dying to see what you two looked like on your wedding day!
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:23 am

Marsha L. wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:Jim, I have happy memories of Seattle because Mary and I were married there in 1989

Robin, if Mary has no objection - we'd love to see a wedding picture of the two of you. Or maybe we should start a "old photos of forumites" thread in the F&F forum. I'm just dying to see what you two looked like on your wedding day!

I doubt Mary would object, Marsha, but I don't know if any pictures exist! This was a very non-traditional wedding on the deck of our friend Victoria's house in Queen Anne, not your fancy church event. :)
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

by John Hagan » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:35 am

I would love the chance to check out Salumi in Seattle. Armandino Batali is thought of as the best salami maker in the states. They have sandwiches,soups and pastas. If it were me though,Id get a nice piece of cured meat and a good baguette plus a bottle and head out for lunch on the water front. There is an ad for Salumi on youtube,but I dont know how to add that link.
A quote from the web site follows.

"Its about Tuscan Finocchiona salami, studded with fennel seeds, and the best spicy sopressata I have ever tasted- complex, slightly smoky, and a vivid red. Hold up a piece of any one of Batali's salamis and you'll see a carnal kaleidoscope, with bits of rosy hues and solid or clear whites, a slice of careful handiwork."

Address
309 Third Ave South
Seattle, WA 98104
(between Main and Jackson, across from Seattle Lighting)

Phone
(206) 621 8772
Restaurant Hours
Tuesday-Friday 11am-4pm
The tall one wants white toast, dry, with nothin' on it.
And the short one wants four whole fried chickens, and a Coke.
no avatar
User

Tom T

{ RANK }

Just got here

Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:12 pm

by Tom T » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:02 am

My wife and I visited Seattle in January. Wild Ginger was great. It remains a very popular place in a central city setting for pan Asian food. It was our favorite restaurant of the trip. I recommend reservations. We visited wo reservations on a Friday evening at 5:30, and we sat at the bar. That was fine with us, but the dining rooms are very nice.

I was most intrigued by Piroshky Piroshky along the street in Pike Place Market. I live in North Carolina now, and we just don't get Russian pastries--both sweet and savory styles are available. They have a website and good reviews on the yelp website. That was the most appealing of the street food options there.

Tom Douglas is a Seattle restaurateur with a stable of possibilities for finer dining. We enjoyed eating at The Dahlia Lounge, with local friends and their teenage daughter. This is a contemporary American cuisine, for the most part, and folks really enjoy their baked goods. The teenager especially liked a favorite dessert there--warm donuts presented in a paper bag. They also have a website.

We didn't visit any restaurants in the joint category, but I'm sure they're some great ones.