Hitting the road? Ask questions about dining out anywhere, and post your trip reports here!
no avatar
User

Eliza W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:24 pm

Indian Hills

Albuquerque, Santa Fe, and Surrounding Areas?

by Eliza W » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:18 pm

Anyone familiar with this area? I'm particularly interested in Mexican, native American, or American-Mexican food.

We'll have our kids with us, but they're pretty adventurous. They'll eat most things, even peppers, so long as it doesn't get too spicy.
User

John Greenup

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:03 pm

Oldham County

Re: Albuquerque, Santa Fe, and Surrounding Areas?

by John Greenup » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:19 pm

On a ski trip in southern Colorado a few years ago, we were driving back to Albuquerque on a Sunday to fly home and stopped in Santa Fe for breakfast/brunch....ended up at the Anasazi Restaurant, located in the Inn of the Anasazi....very good Sunday brunch menu, as I recall..... http://www.innoftheanasazi.com
"I want to go where the hand of man has never set foot."

-- Samuel Goldwyn
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:41 pm

try a search on this site . . . several months ago there was a long thread about specific restaurants, primarily in the Santa Fe area.
Andrew Mellman
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:59 pm

If you're going after June 1, then the best known traditional New Mexican restaurant in the state is reopening. It's northwest of Santa Fe in the middle of nowhere: Rancho de Chimayo

Tomasita's is a great New Mexican restaurant in Santa Fe--nothing fancy, but we really enjoyed it. The Frommer's review mentions long waits, but we didn't have one.

If you don't already know, one of the features of New Mexican cooking is the red or green chile sauce--if you order both it's called Christmas Tree.

There are lots of high end places in Santa Fe--I went with the kids and we skipped all those places!
no avatar
User

David Sanders

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:03 pm

Jeffersontown

by David Sanders » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:35 pm

Here is a link to what I think is Santa Fe's version of "LEO". I don't think that the "Top 10" are voted on by the residents of Santa Fe. I'm pretty sure the Santa Fe Reporter staff vote. But we have used their suggestions in the past and have never had a bad meal. From best margaritas to best green or red sauce to best Thai, they cover a lot of choices.

http://sfreporter.com/cms/story/search/?category=69
no avatar
User

Will Crawford

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:51 pm

by Will Crawford » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:16 am

I second Charles on rancho de Chimyo and Tomasita's. Rancho is really a treat. It is a bit out of Santa Fe but hey I like the kind of place you have to drive to. Both great places.
Will Crawford
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:26 pm

Will Crawford wrote:I second Charles on rancho de Chimyo and Tomasita's. Rancho is really a treat. It is a bit out of Santa Fe but hey I like the kind of place you have to drive to. Both great places.

Rancho de Chimyo is exceptional! Go in and you may be disappointed as the menu seems like an ordinary Mexican restaurant you'd find anywhere, but the food is absolutely wonderful, and some dishes are unusual. Also, pick up some chili powder at the store in the complex (they have their own "breed" of chilis) . . . we keep on reordering from them as it's better than any chili powder we've ever found elsewhere.

It's around 1/3-1/2 way to Taos, and surrounding it are many local weavers, so if you find a list of craftspeople you'll find plenty of sightseeing enroute there & back.
Andrew Mellman
User

Steve A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:13 am

turn left

by Steve A » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:29 pm

Our favorite for Mexican food in Albuquerque is Chilipenos. Unfortunately, the location we went to in Sandia Heights is closed, though a friend in Albuquerque advises me they have a store on Juan Tabo on the northeast side of Albuquerque. It's been a few years since we've been there, but the chile rellenos are to die for.

Another place this friend recommends is also High Noon in Albuquerque Old Town. Here's their thumbnail review: "the food is excellent, it's in a picturesque million-year-old adobe building, has its own parking lot (a big deal in Old Town), and makes an excellent margarita with real lime juice (sadly, unusual in Albuquerque)."

And be aware that in New Mexico for sauces they have red chile, which is sorta hot, and green chile, which is hotter, and if the menu offers "Christmas" it's a combo of red and green (go figure).

You say your kids don't like things spicy. Well, spicy and hot are two different things. Have your kids ever eaten salsa? If they like it tomato sauce sweet, you should probably have them order "very mild." At the very least they should just take a drop of salsa on a chip before loading up their plate with the hot stuff.

Say hello to the sun and warmth for us!
"It ain't a matter of pork 'n beans that's gonna justify your soul
Just don't try to lay no boogie woogie on the king of rock and roll."
no avatar
User

Jeff T

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:45 pm

Louisville

by Jeff T » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:53 pm

My in-laws live in Albuquerque, we have visited many times. My best recommondation hands down for breakfast is the Frontier, 2400 Central Ave near the University of New Mexico campus. House made Tortillias to die for!! You can by then for take home by the dozen. Great Huevos Rancheros. Dont forget to try the cinnamon rolls if you go.

mexican
no avatar
User

Eliza W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Indian Hills

by Eliza W » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:12 pm

Thank you!

Sadly, we will be too early for the Rancho de Chimayo opening.

Has anyone eaten at the Gruett winery? I really like some of their sparkling wines, and I see they have a restaurant.
no avatar
User

Eliza W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Indian Hills

by Eliza W » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:17 pm

First of all, thanks to all. We had a great trip.

In Santa Fe, our hands down favorite meal was Maria's New Mexican Kitchen. It may have been the huge selection of tequila talking, but the blue corn enchiladas were delicious, and though pretty darn spicy, not too spicy. My kids got tacos without the spice, but the real hit with them was the sopaipilllas. They went nuts.

In Albuquerque, the Frontera had food not on par with Maria's, but we loved the ambiance, and the food was actually pretty good. It was sort of like an oversized diner/fast food place. Full of locals, cops, and college kids. I enjoyed the strange (to me) experience of a burrito with spicyish sauce and coffee.

Also in Albuquerque, there's a little bakery called Golden Crown in an area of town that looks like it's gentrifying, but not quite gentrified. They had an amazing pizza with green chili crust. Totally unlike NY style, it was thick and slightly spicy, and it had a definite yeasty, bready taste. I would highly recommend it for something that you don't get elsewhere. Also a good selection of Mexican and New Mexican cookies.