Hitting the road? Ask questions about dining out anywhere, and post your trip reports here!

Milan and Lake Como Recommendations

Moderator: Robin Garr

User

Jon K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:22 pm

Milan and Lake Como Recommendations

by Jon K » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:48 pm

Will be mixing business (Milan) and pleasure (Lake Como) in late May. Any suggestions from forum are appreciated.
no avatar
User

David Sanders

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:03 pm

Jeffersontown

Re: Milan and Lake Como Recommendations

by David Sanders » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:29 pm

In September 2007 we stayed at Albergo Milano in Varenna. Wonderful place with outstanding views of the Lake. We had dinner one night at their Ristorante & Terrazza La Vista - excellent. Again the view is perfect.

http://www.varenna.net/index.htm
no avatar
User

Patrick McB

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:18 am

by Patrick McB » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:27 pm

I also stayed in Varenna on Lake Como. My favorite meal was one at a very small (5 or 6 tables) place. I don't recall the name but believe it was the Italian word for "corkscrew" - one of my best meals ever.

If you have not already, you might want to check TripAdvisor.com for recommendations in the town you will be staying near -

Enjoy Lake Como. Beautiful!!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:02 pm

Patrick McB wrote:believe it was the Italian word for "corkscrew"

Cavatappi?

I could give some good reccos for Lake Garda ... let us know if you head east in the lake country next time, Jon.
no avatar
User

Chris Howerton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:44 pm

by Chris Howerton » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:31 pm

Hey Jon, I had the pleaseure of going to Lake Como last summer. we stayed at hotel barchetta and the only place that i liked was out the building down on the right just past an older hotel and sat kind of on the point of two streets. they had fresh fish visible in the display. all in all the menus were just about the same which blew my mind, I was expecting something way different but I guess we weren't far enough south. enjoy como and definately go to bellagio, thats cool!
no avatar
User

Blake N

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:12 am

by Blake N » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:07 am

We visited northern Italy in 2006. In the lakes region we had some help from our business contacts, who were locals. We visited Lake Maggiore and had a great lunchtime meal at Ristorante Del Pescatore. Very simple fish+pasta dishes. Something called "frog of the lake" was a highlight. In Varese, there was Ristorante Teatro. It seemed gimmicky, with puppets all over the walls, but the food was great. Squid ink pasta was a highlight. There were other places in Varese that I cannot remember the names of (too much wine), but be on the lookout for incredible antipasti featuring beef nerve and uber-fresh mozzarella(still in the bag and sopping wet). In general, the pasta dishes and antipasti that we sampled in and around Varese were incredible and eclipsed most of the best food we've ever had in the states.

In Milan, we did not have help from the locals, so we relied on guidebooks. Not so good. We hit Nobu, which had great food, but I am not a cool person so I felt very out of place. We also went to Il Teatro in the Four Seasons. This was by far our most expensive meal in Italy, but middle-of-the-pack in terms of food and experience. And the place was absolutely empty.
no avatar
User

Blake N

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:12 am

correction, Re: Milan and Lake Como Recommendations

by Blake N » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:25 pm

In reference to my post above, it was not Ristorante Del Pescatore, but Ristorante Casabella. Via del Marinaio, 1, 28838 Isola Pescatori in Stresa. They have a website:
http://www.isola-pescatori.it/ristorant ... catori.htm
no avatar
User

Phil Gissen

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:54 am

by Phil Gissen » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:07 pm

My favorite Italian restaurant in the world is in the suburbs of Milan. It is called Aimo y Nadia. It is family run and owned, but it is ludicrously expensive though. I sent friends there last year, and they thought it was over priced.
"The Sea Was Angry That Day, My Friends, like an Old Man Trying to send Back Soup in a Deli."
no avatar
User

Patrick McB

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:18 am

by Patrick McB » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:35 pm

Robin, you are correct. The name of the restaurant in Varrena that I enjoyed is Il Cavatappi! There is a website in the event anyone is interested -

http://www.ilcavatappiwine-food.it/index.html or just do a google search on Varrena and Il Cavatappi

Pat
User

Paul Mick

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:38 am

Downtown

by Paul Mick » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:40 pm

Phil Gissen wrote:My favorite Italian restaurant in the world is in the suburbs of Milan. It is called Aimo y Nadia. It is family run and owned, but it is ludicrously expensive though. I sent friends there last year, and they thought it was over priced.

I might be wrong, but wouldn't it be Aimo e Nadia and not Aimo y Nadia since its Italian and not Spanish? (I'm assuming.) Of course it could be fusion. Now that I think about it, using chorizo in lasagna sounds really tasty.
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."--J.R.R. Tolkien
no avatar
User

Phil Gissen

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:54 am

by Phil Gissen » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:56 pm

Paul,
You are correct. I have been drinking too much in Louisville and my brain is turning to rot. Not having a job also creates a mental numbness that I hope is only temporary. I also hope my joblessness is temporary...............
"The Sea Was Angry That Day, My Friends, like an Old Man Trying to send Back Soup in a Deli."