Hitting the road? Ask questions about dining out anywhere, and post your trip reports here!

Milwaukee or Bust!

Moderator: Robin Garr

no avatar
User

Phil Gissen

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:54 am

Milwaukee or Bust!

by Phil Gissen » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:44 pm

In about 30 minutes, Donna and I are driving to Milwaukee for the week-end. I don't know if any of you get to Milwaukee, but our "make -up" meals are as follows.

Friday night we are going for a traditional Wisconsin fish fry with a large group of friends at a place called blandly, The Pub, in Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

Saturday, we will have the best burgers in Wisconsin at a little bar called Sobelman's in the middle of the industrial Menomonee Valley.

Saturday night, we will have steaks or ribs at a typical Wisconsin supper club called Jackson Grill which is in the city of West Allis where the company Allis Chalmbers used to be.

Drinking will be on Brady Street and the Third Ward where they have revitalized the area along the river. If any of you ever get to Wisconsin, I will be happy to provide advice. However, the restaurant variety cannot compare to Louisville.
"The Sea Was Angry That Day, My Friends, like an Old Man Trying to send Back Soup in a Deli."
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Milwaukee or Bust!

by Robin Garr » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:45 pm

Safe travels, Phil!
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:37 pm

The Jackson Grille is one of the few supper clubs I've ever been to while visiting Milwaukee and if I remember correctly I had several good meal there while in town on business buying machine tools. As I mentioned in your other thread there's really nothing like that in Louisville.

Have a safe trip and don't be too much!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:37 am

Safe trip, Phil. But come back home when you're done.
User

Carolyne Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:22 am

by Carolyne Davis » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:51 am

Speaking of "Supper Clubs" I have always wanted to do a supper club like the kind in the movies from the fifties or there abouts where everyone is dressed to the nines, the waiters are in tuxes, the tables are set on tiers, and there's a big stage with an orchestra and sexy torch singer laying on the piano (think Michele Pfieffer) while she sings; a big dance floor down front and the best steaks and lobster in town. I hope George Johnson manages to get the owner of Club Villa Fontana to sell it to him, that would be the perfect location! Certainly would help clean up that part of Fourth Street! LOL Just dreaming.......
User

Todd Antz

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 11, 2007 12:37 pm

Clarksville, IN

by Todd Antz » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:04 am

We did our wedding in Milwaukee (Wife's family is from there) and had our rehearsal dinner at a great German restaurant in downtown Milwaukee, and I cannot think of the name of that place for the life of me. My in-laws moved away from there last year, so my trips up there are very few now. Phil, any help on the name of that place?
Keg Liquors
Keeping Kentuckiana Beer'd since 1976
http://www.kegliquors.com

617 E. Lewis & Clark Pkwy
Clarksville, IN 47129
812-283-3988

4304 Charlestown Road
New Albany, IN 47150
812-948-0444
no avatar
User

Phil Gissen

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:54 am

by Phil Gissen » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:12 pm

Todd, The name of the German restaurant was either Karl Ratzschs or Maders. The other excellent German restaurant, John Ernst closed a few years ago.
"The Sea Was Angry That Day, My Friends, like an Old Man Trying to send Back Soup in a Deli."
User

Todd Antz

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 11, 2007 12:37 pm

Clarksville, IN

by Todd Antz » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:31 pm

Phil Gissen wrote:Todd, The name of the German restaurant was either Karl Ratzschs or Maders. The other excellent German restaurant, John Ernst closed a few years ago.

Maders! Thank you Phil.
Keg Liquors
Keeping Kentuckiana Beer'd since 1976
http://www.kegliquors.com

617 E. Lewis & Clark Pkwy
Clarksville, IN 47129
812-283-3988

4304 Charlestown Road
New Albany, IN 47150
812-948-0444