Hitting the road? Ask questions about dining out anywhere, and post your trip reports here!
User

John Greenup

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:03 pm

Oldham County

Re: London, Paris, Geneva & Chamonix recommendations

by John Greenup » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:08 pm

I was somewhat overwhelmed by Phil's pantheon of Parisian restaurants and bistros...one of the places that I recall visiting when I was there is "Le Procope", a Left Bank establishment (13, Rue de l'Ancienne Comedie) which is billed as the oldest continually operating restaurant in Paris (currently in its 323rd year of operation -- supposedly founded in 1686)....the restaurant gets mixed reviews, from overrated to surprisingly good, but given its history, might be worth a stop just to say you've been there (any place still in business after more than three centuries can't be too bad). They have a website at: http://www.procope.com.
"I want to go where the hand of man has never set foot."

-- Samuel Goldwyn
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:24 pm

Hope you have a great trip.
Last edited by Jay M. on Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User

Leann C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:42 pm

Highlands

by Leann C » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:31 pm

I was just catching up on SeriousEats.com and ran across this article from blogger David Lebovitz who's Living the Sweet Life in Paris. In the article, he asked several of his fellow bloggers & authors to name their favorite places in Paris.

Here's an excerpt....

"If the question were, "Which Parisian brasserie would I miss the most were it to close?," my answer would be La Coupole. If the question were, "Which Parisian brasserie would I recommend to visiting relatives?," my response would be Bofinger. But since I am being asked for my personal favorite and the year is 2009 rather than 1929, I single out the comparatively young, obscure, smallish and unglamorous Le Chantefable (93, avenue Gambetta, 20th) for all the wonderful ways it is not like La Coupole and Bofinger."

(Leann's Note: My husband and I visited Bofinger a couple of years ago because one of our traveling companions insisted. The atmosphere was certainly charming, but I really wasn't impressed with the food or service. Maybe it was an off day...)

http://www.davidlebovitz.com/archives/2 ... nking.html
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:25 am

http://www.pied-de-cochon.ch/

Ed - here's my Geneva recommendation that I dug up from some time ago (as we have discussed!).
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:17 am

Phil, you have missed your calling. Culinary guidebooks. I have certainly added your list to my Paris file.
no avatar
User

todd richards

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:00 am

by todd richards » Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:44 pm

http://www.hakkasan.com/

Hakkasan is in my top 3 best meals I have ever had betting out Charlie Trotter's, Bouchon, Per-Se, Riingo (Marcus Samuelsson).
The dim sung is the best I ever had.
Very upbeat.
Voted top 50 restaurant in the world; if that means anything...
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:37 pm

Thanks to all who contributed! Now for some delightful homework.
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:08 am

While I was visiting my daughter in London she took me to one of her favorite place for mussels. It's call Belgo and it's Belgian.( The link to their web site is below.) They did a lunch special that was silly cheap for London. We had a ton of mussels for ... I dunno, not much. They also have a hugh selection of beers and were doing a brisk business in schnapps boards while we were there at lunch. We visited the location in Chalk Farm. I will definitely go back.

http://www.belgo-restaurants.co.uk/
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

Holly C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:53 am

by Holly C » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:56 pm

I went in 2005 with my sister and recommended some of these to my parents, who went in 2006. No idea if these are still current recommendations.

Chez Max, 47, Rue St Honoré; Max speaks a little English, and there was an English menu posted outside, but we could read the menu well enough. Everything tasted wonderfully homemade (in the best sense!). My parents loved it when they went, too.

L'etoile verte, near the Arc de Triomphe, 13 rue Brey

Auberge de la Reine Blanche, on Ile St. Louis. Followed by ice cream from Berthillon, also on Ile St. Louis.

Fleurs de Mai, Chinatown (Porte de Choisy metro stop), on Ave de Choisy. Authentic Cantonese noodle shop. (I try Cantonese food everywhere I go.)

I would not recommend Polidor, near the Sorbonne. It was in our guide book and close to where we were one evening when we all of a sudden became ravenous, and it has a lot of historical value, but the food was very run-of-the-mill. I got the sense it was running off of its historic cache more than its food.
Previous