Hitting the road? Ask questions about dining out anywhere, and post your trip reports here!

Lexington Dining

Moderator: Robin Garr

no avatar
User

Aaron Wood

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:39 pm

Louisville KY

Re: Lexington Dining

by Aaron Wood » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:35 pm

go to furlongs on main and ashland.. call for reservations 8592669000
Aaron B. Wood
Asst Manager Furlongs of Louisville
9601 Shelbyville Rd
Louisville KY 40223
no avatar
User

Blake N

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:12 am

by Blake N » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:48 am

Warning: much wordage and strong opinions ahead.

I am a 20-year Lexington resident. I concur that Holly Hill Inn is the best that you can find in our area, and it compares well with Louisville fine-dining. Lexington also has a few good Asian and Indian places (especially Banana Leaf, a dedicated South Indian spot), some Taquerías, and Old San Juan, a mom-and-pop Cuban place. We also have decent New York style pizza at Brooklyn Pizza. Other than that, I have a low opinion of Lexington cuisine, especially the fine-dining options. Louisville's best places (our favorites are Seviche, Mayan Cafe, Mojitos, and Proof) are in a different league when compared to Lex spots like Azur, Jonathon's, Murray's, Merrick Inn, Portofino's, and Malone's. It wouldn't even be reasonable to compare them, except that the price points are the same (at Mayan Cafe, in fact, we pay about $20-$30 less than we do for a similar amount of food+wine at typical Lex fine-dining). I have felt robbed over and over again at Lexington fine-dining restaurants. These days, we make the trip to Louisville or the Holly Hill Inn (which truly is a special place) if we want true fine-dining.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:03 am

Welcome to the forum, Blake, and thanks for your strong and candid opinions!
User

Bret Donaldson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:14 am

by Bret Donaldson » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:35 pm

Kyle L wrote:Tolly-Ho . ;)

Oh my. Save this one for 2 AM after the bars. Nothing like a ho-burger after a hard night of drinking. Many memories of this place from my college days, although the atmosphere has changed somewhat over the years. I still pop in from time to time when I am back in Lexington, and am amazed to see some of the same faces that have been occupying a booth since the late 80's.
Bret Donaldson
Owner

Stellar Craft Catering &
Stellar Event Managament
Previous