Hitting the road? Ask questions about dining out anywhere, and post your trip reports here!

Orchids at Palm Court

Moderator: Robin Garr

User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

Orchids at Palm Court

by Ron Johnson » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:26 am

I've been meaning to dine at this restaurant in the Hilton Sherry Netherland hotel for sometime now. The bar and adjoining restaurant comprise one of the grandest Art Deco rooms in the country. It is truly breathtaking. Also, there have been consistent reports of good cuisine in the restaurant Orchids.

We opted for the four course tasting menu at $60 per person. Oddly, it did not include a dessert course. We did ask that we each recieve a different dish for each course,and they happily complied. We had:

First Course:
Maine Lobster Salad
Organic “Fried” Egg, Parsley and
Caviar Cream, and

Yellowtail Tuna Tartare
Green Bamboo Rice, Napa Cabbage
and Coriander Aioli

Second Course:
Loup de Mer
Risotto Galette, Green Tomato Ratatouille.
Wild Arugula and Lemon Vinaigrette, and

Dover Sole
Dungeness Crab, Sunchoke Puree, Tarragon
and Haricot Vert

Third Course:

Roasted Kurobuta Pork Tenderloin
Celery Root, Spinach, Mustard Seeds
and Bosc Pears, and

Spring Rabbit en Crépenette
Serrano Ham, Organic Beans
and Raspberry Salsa

Fourth Course:

Roasted Lamb Loin
Stone Ground Polenta, Summer Truffles,
Organic Carrots and Madeira Sauce

Braised Prime Beef Cheeks
Ricotta Gnudi, Heirloom Spinach,
Shiitake Mushrooms and Natural Jus

Dessert:
A tower comprised of three different types of chocolate mousse.

Wine:
Pierre Guillemot, Savigny-les-Beaune “Les Serpentieres”, Premier Cru, Burgundy, France, 2004

I must say that overall this was an impressive meal. Certainly better than the last meal I had at Pigalls, which would represent its most direct competitor in this market. The service was friendly and professional, but not quite as confident as one would like in a restaurant serving this level of cuisine. The real standout dishes were the Dover Sole, the Yellowtail Tune tartare, the Loup de Mer, and the Beef Cheeks. The lamb loin also had a sauce that contained some habanero that was interesting.

With a jazz quartet playing in the bar next door, it was a fine evening. I will definitely return.
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

Re: Orchids at Palm Court

by Linda C » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:20 pm

We just did a wine dinner there with Meeker as part of the Cinci Wine Fest. It was spectacular! The best atmosphere of any othere restaurant there by far. The chef came out to talk with all the diners. He's quite young but exuberant. I definitely plan another dinner there!