Hitting the road? Ask questions about dining out anywhere, and post your trip reports here!

Planning a summer trip to California

Moderator: Robin Garr

User

BevP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 01, 2010 11:06 pm

Bullitt County KY

Planning a summer trip to California

by BevP » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:52 am

My son Matt and I are planning a trip to California, 2 weeks late June. We have the first 2 nights booked in Santa Rosa as we are flying into San Francisco and the last 3 nights booked in San Francisco. Our travel agent booked us into the Argonaut on Fisherman's Wharf. Our goal is to stick mainly to the coast , thinking a drive to San Diego and working our way back. I know about safety concerns we both should have the vaccine by the trip and have no problem with masking and social distancing I plan on double masking on the plane . This trip is a replacement to the trip that got cancelled last year to Great Britain for me , my late husband and Matt. Now we need suggestions for dining and hotels if you have them.
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

Re: Planning a summer trip to California

by JustinHammond » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:04 am

It's been years since we've been so I won't speak on specific restaurants, but the Ferry Building farmers market is not to be missed. It should be in full swing for your trip.

https://www.ferrybuildingmarketplace.co ... rs-market/
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:44 pm

I lived in LA years and years ago, Bev, and traveled back fairly frequently in the '90s and '00s. But it's been a while now, and especially with Covid to consider, I'm afraid I'm not up on current suggestions at all.

It is a very long way from San Francisco to San Diego, but I'm sure. you know that. I do highly recommend taking the coast highway rather than the interstate from San Francisco to LA, though. It's a longer, slower, but far prettier drive with lots of memorable scenery along the way.

Oh, even at this late date, I think you can be assured that In-And-Out Burger (many locations) is still worth a try. It's sort of a Holy Grain for people who don't live near it; in my opinion it's just another quick-service burger joint, but definitely well above average.
User

BevP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 01, 2010 11:06 pm

Bullitt County KY

by BevP » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:24 am

Robin Garr wrote:I lived in LA years and years ago, Bev, and traveled back fairly frequently in the '90s and '00s. But it's been a while now, and especially with Covid to consider, I'm afraid I'm not up on current suggestions at all.

It is a very long way from San Francisco to San Diego, but I'm sure. you know that. I do highly recommend taking the coast highway rather than the interstate from San Francisco to LA, though. It's a longer, slower, but far prettier drive with lots of memorable scenery along the way.

Oh, even at this late date, I think you can be assured that In-And-Out Burger (many locations) is still worth a try. It's sort of a Holy Grain for people who don't live near it; in my opinion it's just another quick-service burger joint, but definitely well above average.

We understand the long drive and that is part of the appeal. The first time we went to AAA the guy made us a route that was essentially a loop that covered Yosemite, Joshua Tree and the desert but we really decided to do the pacific coast hwy down and back. We will take our time hopefully eat outside most of the time, lots of fresh seafood, try some wine and relax. We need this trip.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:19 am

BevP wrote:We will take our time hopefully eat outside most of the time, lots of fresh seafood, try some wine and relax. We need this trip.

Bev, I hope you have a wonderful time. :)