Hitting the road? Ask questions about dining out anywhere, and post your trip reports here!

Danville Kentucky

Moderator: Robin Garr

User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Danville Kentucky

by Carla G » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:55 am

After having spent the morning and part of the afternoon checking out the Perryville battleground park and area ( not a civil war buff but it was still quite interesting), we drove into Danville for a bite to eat. It’s been years since I was there but the town has morphed into some southern charm, I guess because of Centre College. It must have been the last day before classes start because the town was full of parents, teenagers and mini fridges. We stumbled into a small cafe with pretty red awnings called HARVEY’S. It was 3/4 of the way full and everyone looked happy and it smelled heavenly of slow roasted meat of some sort. ( I think -But I cant swear to it- that it’s an independent venture and not part of a chain, but again, not positive.)

We sat, got menus, ordered cocktails, made our selections and were ready to order when the neighboring tables’ food arrived. I swear, every plate looked as if it were ready to be photographed. We scrambled back to our menus to see what they must be eating, and all changed our minds from our previous plans. (Yeah, so plate presentation was spot on.)
We ended up with a brisket dinner ( it had so much meat on the plate I really don’t know how they turned a profit on it) , a catfish dinner (again, large portion of mildly flavored catfish perfectly fried) and I had a burger which normally I would have thought to be boring to order but again, the neighboring tables looked/smelled so good. I liked that the waitress still asked how I wanted it cooked ( medium with a bit of pink inside) . It arrived looking splendid and perfectly cooked.

Our peach sangrias were good, not being overly sweet, and his habenero margarita was very spicy/salty sweet.

Service was timely and our server seemed very happy to be there working her craft with skill.
We will definitely return.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson