Hitting the road? Ask questions about dining out anywhere, and post your trip reports here!

Gatlinburg vs Pigeon Forge

Moderator: Robin Garr

no avatar
User

Will Terry

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon May 04, 2009 4:00 pm

Gatlinburg vs Pigeon Forge

by Will Terry » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:31 pm

So I was researching Pigeon Forge for an upcoming family trip. We are planning a weekend getaway with a 2 and 4 year old... Originally, I had planned on doing Pigeon Forge, but the more I researched it, the more Gatlinburg looked like a better option. They are six miles away from each other, so we can obviously punt if Gatlinburg is awful... but anyone have any thoughts on either for a weekend with 2 kids?

I know it's tourist trappy... but seems like an easy getaway.
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Gatlinburg vs Pigeon Forge

by Suzi Bernert » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:08 pm

Haven’t been in a few years, but I always found Gatlinburg preferable because it is walkable compared to Pigeon Forge. I had very seldom needed a car once we got there because we stayed at hotels in town. Now if you rent a cabin/house outside of town, that would require a car, but you can park once and walk to almost everything.
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
no avatar
User

Will Terry

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Will Terry » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:16 pm

Suzi Bernert wrote:Haven’t been in a few years, but I always found Gatlinburg preferable because it is walkable compared to Pigeon Forge. I had very seldom needed a car once we got there because we stayed at hotels in town. Now if you rent a cabin/house outside of town, that would require a car, but you can park once and walk to almost everything.

Awesome. That was the impression that I got...
no avatar
User

Will Terry

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Will Terry » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:59 am

We ended up in a place in Pigeon Forge, but spent most of our time in Gatlinburg.

It was a delightful trip. Highly recommended... We did not attend any dinner theater shows... I can't believe they have the market to support that many.