Hitting the road? Ask questions about dining out anywhere, and post your trip reports here!

San Diego

Moderator: Robin Garr

no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

San Diego

by Linda C » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:41 am

One city I haven't visited! Going for 5 days in Feb, staying at Marriott Marquis on the Pier. I am planning a dinner with two relatives and want to find a nice place near the hotel. I also want any recs for great Mexican and any eclectic places worth visiting. Thanks!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: San Diego

by Robin Garr » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:54 pm

Linda, I haven't been to San Diego for ages, so anything I could remember would be stale, although it may be worth knowing that Rubio's introduced the States to fish tacos, and that there's a neighborhood near downtown called Old San Diego (or something like that) with lots of great Mexican places. Or it was like that in the eraly '90s, anyway. :oops: )

Here's a news release I just got that might provide some good info, though. I don't know if you'll be there for this festival, but notice it mentions lots of award-winning eateries:

THE FISH TACO TKO & SAN DIEGO CRAFT BEER RETURNS TO
THE SAN DIEGO BAY WINE & FOOD FESTIVAL

San Diego's Top Fish Taco Destinations Battle it Out to Earn Title as the Region's Finest in the Annual Fish Taco TKO Competition

San Diego, CA (October 30, 2014) - The 11th Annual San Diego Bay Wine & Food Festival feeds the San Diegan soul with two of the city's treasured delicacies, the fish taco and craft beer. On Tuesday, November 18, the Fish Taco TKO & San Diego Craft Beers Presented by Dining Out Magazine returns to Southern California's largest food and wine festival for another mouthwatering showcase of the San Diego culinary classics.

A signature wine and food festival event, the evening held at Stone Brewing World Bistro & Gardens - Liberty Station in San Diego's Point Loma community, features the famed Fish Taco TKO Competition. A lively and palatable showdown where San Diego's top fish taco makers go head-to-head in a crave-worthy battle to be crowned San Diego's finest. "In San Diego, a fish taco paired with a local craft beer is a signature taste of the city, and a treasured element to local lifestyle," said Michelle Metter, co-producer of the San Diego Bay Wine & Food Festival.

"Whether tantalizing the palate of an out-of-towner, or playing to a local's taste buds, the wine and food festival brings the most delicious flavors of the region to all attendees," added Metter. "Regarded as the craft beer capital of the world, and home to some of the tastiest fish tacos north of Baja, Taco TKO highlights both local treasures. Taco TKO brings guests the San Diego experience in a way that is delicious, interactive, and at an affordable price all foodies can appreciate."

The citywide fish taco competition welcomes returning champ Sandbar, as well as Stone Brewing Co., The Blind Burro, Casanova Fish Tacos, PB Fish Shop, The Oceanaire Seafood Room, Puesto, Romesco Mex Med, and Tequila Bar & Grille to participate in The Fish Taco TKO. Throughout the evening guests will sip on unique craft beers on draft, while weighing in on the chef's taco creations which will be specially paired together by Stone Craft Beer Ambassador "Dr." Bill Sysak.

The Fish Taco TKO & San Diego Craft Beers will be held from 6:00 p.m. until 9:00 p.m. on Tuesday, November 18 at Stone Brewing World Bistro & Gardens - Liberty Station, located at 2816 Historic Decatur Road #116, San Diego CA 92106. Tickets to The Fish Taco TKO & San Diego Craft Beersare on sale for $45. For a complete schedule of events or to purchase tickets for the San Diego Bay Wine & Food Festival, visit http://www.sandiegowineclassic.com.
SAN DIEGO BAY WINE & FOOD FESTIVAL

The 11th Annual San Diego Bay Wine & Food Festival is an international showcase of the world's premier wine and spirits producers, chefs and culinary personalities, and gourmet foods. Held November 16-23, 2014, the event benefits culinary arts and enology scholarships awarded by The American Institute of Wine & Food and the Chaîne des Rôtisseurs. Over 200 wineries, breweries and spirit companies, 70 of San Diego's top fine dining restaurants and 30 gourmet food companies will participate in the 2014 Festival. For more information visit www.sandiegowineclassic.com. Produced by World of Wine Events and Fast Forward Event Productions. For more information call 619-312-1212.