Hitting the road? Ask questions about dining out anywhere, and post your trip reports here!

Peru

Moderator: Robin Garr

User

Ray Griffith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Highlands

Peru

by Ray Griffith » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:32 pm

I have 24 hours in Lima, any dining suggestions? National dish must haves?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Peru

by Robin Garr » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:07 pm

Ray Griffith wrote:I have 24 hours in Lima, any dining suggestions? National dish must haves?

Ray, we spent a couple of weeks in Peru, including some time in Lima, but it's been 15 or 20 years ago, so I'm short on specifics. But Peru (like just about every other nation in the Americas with a Pacific coastline) claims to be the originator of seviche, so you should definitely try some. Their version is usually made with corvina, a mild white ocean fish, and usually has thin rounds of corn on the cob in it. Another national dish (appetizer?) is anticuchos, basically grilled beef heart.

The fancy district of Lima is Miraflores. On the one hand you'll find your fanciest restaurants there. On the other hand, it's pretty much like the upscale shopping district in any world city. If you have any local contacts, it would be great to get some tips to where the locals eat in the city's middle-class nabes like Jesus y Maria, but again, I'm sorry that I just don't have the current info to guide you reliably.
User

Ray Griffith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Highlands

Re: Peru

by Ray Griffith » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:41 pm

I don't know about the beef heart (not much on organ meats unless it's ankimo), but I'll definitely seek out some ceviche. Thank you Robin!