Hitting the road? Ask questions about dining out anywhere, and post your trip reports here!

Been to Puerto Rico?

Moderator: Robin Garr

no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

Been to Puerto Rico?

by Linda C » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:56 pm

We just booked a week at a resort about 20 min east of San Juan. We will be near the famous "Luquillo kiosks" famous for the wide variety of seafood, street food and strong drinks. I would like to find a really nice restaurant for one meal. We have a car. From my past jaunts into San Juan , I remember some gringo sombrero places, but have never dined there. Anybody have suggestions?
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

Re: Been to Puerto Rico?

by Gayle DeM » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:02 pm

These recommendations are from a friend of mine who was born in Puerto Rico and who frequently returns for visits:

Old San Juan
Dragonfly
Aguaviva
Toro Salado
Raices
Condado
Budatai- http://www.ootwrestaurants.com/page.cgi?pag=1a

Also, here is a link to some of the restaurants that comes to mind.http://www.oofrestaurants.com/

Need to have breakfast at “La Bombonera” in Old San Juan. This is an “old school” place where our traditional Puertorrican Panaderia (Bakery) breakfast is served.
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
User

Rachel Goldenberg

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:23 pm

Louisville, KY

by Rachel Goldenberg » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:27 pm

My husband and I honeymooned in San Juan 3 years ago. The best meals we had were at Raices (kinda of touristy but very tasty in Old San Juan) and Pa'l Cielo (just outside Old San Juan in a neighborhood - they had live music with dancing, very trendy but not in a bad way).
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

by Linda C » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:35 pm

Back from a great week in PR. We took rick's son, his wife and 12 month baby. We rented a beautiful privately owned Villa at the Villas at Wyndham Rio Mar. We did our own breakfasts and ventured out for great food. One little beach bar in Luquillo, Boardriders, had great drinks and fish tacos. Other than that, we had three dinners at the Luquillo Kiosks; La Parilla, Vejigantes and Conga's. wonderful seafood, Mofongos, churrasco...amazing. These might look a bit seedy from the street, they are nice, colorful and clean inside. Each proudly displays the name of the resident chef. Granted, we ate in the more expensive of over 30 restaurants...lots sold deep fried street food.there were several lively bars, some tourist shops and a few vendors selling seafood from trucks. The sole bad meal we had was from the Wyndham. We got carry out because we arrived so exhausted and it was truly bad! We found the traffic to San Juan to be pretty bad, so we stayed in the eastern part of PR, enjoyed the beaches with the natural vegetation, the rainforest and the nice areas around Rio Grande, Fajardo and Luquillo.