Hitting the road? Ask questions about dining out anywhere, and post your trip reports here!

Four days in Lexington report

Moderator: Robin Garr

no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

Four days in Lexington report

by Linda C » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:47 pm

My husband had major surgery and I've spent the last four days consuming Lexington. Since his kids are there, we frequent places such as Jean Farris Winery and Bistro, which has always been terrific, and Jonathan's at Gratz Park which never disappoints.

On this trip, we had pre-surgery last supper with family at Miyako Japanese. Sushi was very good, Udon excellent. My pad thai was quite good as well, good flavor, HUGE portions. Next morning after surgery, I walked over to Limestone to a little hole in the wall called Sarah Mediterranean Grill. It was formerly the Banana Leaf. I had amazing falafels and hummus and freshly made Naam bread- oooohhhh yum! The owner was cooking and frequenting the front room to ensure customer satisfaction. I believe his family is from Jordan- a really nice family! I returned another night to bring my husband something decent and he loved the lamb kebobs over a delicious rice. I tried the Baba Ganoujh and it was as good as Al-Watan, and I'm picky! The owner recognized me and tossed in a free dessert. Great guy.

Next day was breakfast at Doodles- love this place! Everything is so fresh, I loved the Huevos Rancheros. This was my 4th visit there, the quality is always outstanding. On warm days, it's nice to sit on the patio. For lunch, I brought food back to hubby from Alfalfa. Their meny is awesome, but you must check out the daily chalkboard items as well. I chose the Tomato Bisque Soup, Broccoli Quiche and a side of German potato salad. Big hit! Supposedly Calipari loves the soup, it's one of the best I've tasted. Quiche equally good, they use locally raised/produced eggs, cheese and produce. Their red skin on German potato salad was crazy good too!

I crossed the street to Local Taco for solo dinner.They had Margaritas for happy hour at $3.50 and boy were they good! I had a really good salad , the cilantro ranch dressing was rather bland. I had a fish taco and a shrimp taco. The shrimp had a jalapeno slaw on it and was tasty, the fish taco lacked flavor. The queso was good, but for $3.50 it was barely a half cup. I was a bit disappointed in the place. Couldn't touch Bazo's!

Next day, daughter drove in and we took her friend to Jalapeno's for Mexican fare. The place was jammed. They did the sombrero/birthday thing there- pretty funny. Lively place, food was very good. Salsa and queso excellent. My daughter's Veggie Fajitas were the bomb, I had bean burrito/cheese enchilada. Not exciting, more like El Tarasco but I wasn't being adventurous.Service was great, this is a good bet if you want that sort of thing. They can get you to your class on time.

For dinner, I was craving spaghetti after seeing my hubby's at hospital. I was able to order and pay online for Joe Bologna's across the street, which worked great as I took it back to the hotel with a Sauvignon Blanc and crashed hard. It's pretty standard Italian fare, but the spaghetti with meat sauce tasted very good and robust, salad was mehh, had a big breadstick for $9.99. I would return.

My hubby was supposed to come home today, which didn't happen. I'm sorry he's stuck one more night with hospital food. I had to return home for litterbox duty. Before I bring him home tomorrow, I'll probably hit Alfalfa once more. As for tonight....Simply Thai is calling.....
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

Re: Four days in Lexington report

by Steve Shade » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:56 pm

Hope your husband is doing ok.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Four days in Lexington report

by Robin Garr » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:50 pm

Thanks for the report, Linda, although I know your hubby was more on your mind than food was! I hope his recovery will be quick and uneventful!