Hitting the road? Ask questions about dining out anywhere, and post your trip reports here!
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Cincinnati Area Getaway?

by Deb Hall » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:57 pm

We are going away for an adults-only weekend in Cincy ( kids with grandparents). We are looking for a change of scenery for two days- The main draw for the trip is Findlay market, and having some relaxing adult-time ( with the ability to do things if we decide we are in the mood).
We've been to Cincy many times for weekends, but never without kids.

Most of our Cincy experiences have been very focused on the downtown area and Newport ( yes- I know that 's Kentucky :wink: ). I'm looking for a new experience, potentially in near driving distance but not IN the city( or at least not downtown). Something relaxing. Thinking maybe a B&B? Any suggestions on where to stay and where to eat?

Thanks!
Deb
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Cincinnati Area Getaway?

by Robin Garr » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:13 pm

Mary and I used to just love Mount Adams, and although we never stayed there, I'll bet it's loaded with B&B's. Sort of Old Louisville distance from downtown but nicely isolated by topography and the road plan, we thought of it as a mini-San Francisco on the Ohio. Okay, not quite, maybe, but it was still a cool neighborhood when we used to go there a lot. Hmm. That would have been the '80s. Something about living in New York changed us. :roll:
no avatar
User

Harold B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu May 21, 2009 11:58 am

by Harold B » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:23 pm

Deb,

We found ourselves in Milford (east side of Cincy) a month or so ago and found the "village" quaint. There were several antique stores and alike that caught my wife's eye. I can't speak to the B&B's, but it was nice place to spend an afternoon. I can recommend 20 Brix as great place for lunch and I would assume it would great for dinner as well.

Harold
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:31 pm

Robin,

Thanks!
You had me at " like San Francisco". :D :wink: Definitely our kind of place! We've only driven through to go to the Art Museum- that could be an excellent choice. Now I need to find a B&B in the area...
Deb
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:32 pm

Thanks, Harold- that's a great suggestion. I've also seen listings for Lebanon which shouldn't be far from there.

Deb
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:06 pm

Deb Hall wrote:You had me at " like San Francisco". :D :wink:

Well, we were younger then. :lol: But it has steep hills and quaint architecture and buildings all run together, and at the top, nice views and - at least in those days - a number of nice bistros and pubs. There was a good restaurant in the old Rookwood Pottery, and I remember a downstairs jazz club called Blind Lemon. Honestly, though, that's been a long time ago. We probably have forumites who were babies then. :oops:
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:14 pm

Haven't been, but I've been wanting to stay at Willis Graves in Burlington, KY. (http://www.burligrave.com/)

For eats, I've heard good things about Local 127 (http://www.mylocal127.com/home.html) and Nada (http://www.eatdrinknada.com/main.html), both downtown.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:58 pm

Brad,

I looked at Willis Graves, but hadn't heard of it prior. Have you heard anything from someone who stayed there? They actually had two ( expensive ) rooms available - so far availability is turning out to be an issue- B&B's tend to book up early.

Thanks!
Deb
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:57 am

Deb Hall wrote:Brad,

I looked at Willis Graves, but hadn't heard of it prior. Have you heard anything from someone who stayed there? They actually had two ( expensive ) rooms available - so far availability is turning out to be an issue- B&B's tend to book up early.

Thanks!
Deb

I have not, but in planning a potential weekend getaway to the Cincinnati area back in the late-winter, it was tops on our list. Unfortunately, the trip fell through.

The TripAdvisor reviews are outstanding, other than one questionable review from 2007. I generally tend to trust TripAdvisor reviews for lodging.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review ... tucky.html

It is expensive for a bed and breakfast, but really looks like a cool place, especially the William Rouse.
-Alton Brown
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:26 am

Brad,

You must have been reading my mind :wink: - we are booking our room here today ( just down to picking between two rooms- The Graves Suite or the Rouse Retreat( up stairs) I've already had several conversation with Nancy, who seems lovely with great customer service. I'll make sure to post afterwards to tell you what we thought. :D

I'm starting to feel relaxed already.... :D

Deb
no avatar
User

Michele Cull

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:44 am

Original Highlands

by Michele Cull » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:27 pm

Deb Hall wrote:Brad,

You must have been reading my mind :wink: - we are booking our room here today ( just down to picking between two rooms- The Graves Suite or the Rouse Retreat( up stairs)

Deb

My dad's family is from Boone Co. I'm related to that Wm C Rouse and would have never known about this if you had not posted. Thanks!!
MissChele
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:14 pm

Michele,
Very cool! I'll tell our host when we go. :D
BTW- there is a great description of the history of the cabin and how it got to that location on their website under " About Us" .

Deb
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

by Linda C » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:45 pm

Robin....have to laugh here...my hubby and I were at Rookwood Pottery several years ago dining before a Billy Joel concert. We couldn't find a cab back, so we paid this couple gas money to take us to the concert and we were in the storage area of one of those mini cars (LMAO) going down the hills at about 70 mph. Anyway, they changed the restaurant, not sure what's there now.My husband's business is in Cinci, so we're there often. One really fun place we stayed was in Bellevue Ky at a B&B called Christopher's. It was a converted church. We stayed in the Governor's suite which is in the church's choir loft and it had a huge jacuzzi right in front of Jesus (in stained glass). It was a huge suite, really nice little place.
http://www.christophersbb.net/?p=199

The thing I hate about Newport area is the lack of smoking bans in restaurants. Ohio is all smoke free.
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:10 am

I posted this in the main section, but thought a re-post here would be appropriate.

We took a little weekend trip to Cincy last weekend, so I thought I'd update this thread.

Boca: By far the highlight of the trip, and one of the better meals I've had in some time. The Hamachi Crudo and Mediterranean Loup de Mer were outstanding.

Metropole at 21C Cincinnati: Michael Paley's new home after departing Proof to open Metropole. I had some concerns that Metropole would just be Proof Cincinnati, but was pleasantly surprised. The food and decor is quite different, in a good way. We enjoyed all of our meal, but the Burnt Carrot Salad is sort of their signature dish, and it lived up to the hype. Breakfast was also solid.

As an aside, we stayed at 21C Cincinnati, and enjoyed it a lot. I think 21C has done a great job of not making it a mirror image of 21C Louisville, while incorporating some positive trademarks. In warmer weather, hit the rooftop cocktail terrace.

Senate: We popped in for a late lunch. This place is the real deal, with some really crazy but excellent hot dogs. I had the the special Dennis Rodman (hot smoked mett topped with spicy beer cheese, bourbon BBQ sauce, duck fat fries and chicharrónes). The lobster mac and cheese was also solid, and reminded me a bit of the late Avalon's version. It's in the hip Over-the-Rhine neighborhood and gets very crowded, so expect to wait. We arrived around 2:00 and got the last available seats.
-Alton Brown
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:28 pm

Thanks for the report, Brad. We had a similar trip a few weeks ago and did a pre-dinner drink at Metropole. We weren't too impressed with the bar and thought the Louisville version much nicer. Dinner was at Jean Robert's Table, which we enjoyed, but the pacing and timing were very "French".
Next