Hitting the road? Ask questions about dining out anywhere, and post your trip reports here!

NY Wine country

Moderator: Robin Garr

no avatar
User

Cynthia L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:46 pm

NY Wine country

by Cynthia L » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:04 pm

Anyone been to Finger Lakes wine region in NY.
Have any good info to share about wineries & restaurants ?
Thanks in advance !
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: NY Wine country

by Robin Garr » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:50 pm

Cynthia, I haven't been since the '90s, so my personal data would be stale. I did like Hermann Wiemer and Lamoreaux Landing, though, for what that's worth.

You should also be prepared for a lot of driving: The lakes, as you know, are long and narrow, so it's easy to go up and down a road between two lakes and visit wineries along the shores, but takes along drive to go around the end and over to the next lakes, if I'm making sense. So, it helps to plan your trip to hit one lake (or, one pair of shores) at a time.

Here's a discussion on our sister wine forum that covered a lot of ground about a Finger Lakes tour in 2006, so it should still be reasonably current. I hope it helps. If you want to join that forum to ask questions (your membership here won't work), let me know!

http://www.wineloverspage.com/forum/vil ... 5&p=340278
no avatar
User

Cynthia L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:46 pm

by Cynthia L » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:50 pm

Robin,
Thanks for the information.
It already has helped scaling down the area to be visited.
Cynthia
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

by Linda C » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:10 pm

It was one of the first wine areas we visited about 12 years ago. We went up during the festival at Watkins Glen which was really fun and festive.Great food.We stayed at Glenora on Seneca Lake which was very nice and enjoyed many interesting places. Definitely geared to the lighter wine crowd and beware there are some really sweet (blueberry) types produced. Also, we were surprised that some vintners used "oak chips" in the barrels producing a campfire flavor. Nonetheless, you can find good info online and through various publications. It's a lovely area.