Hitting the road? Ask questions about dining out anywhere, and post your trip reports here!
no avatar
User

Sherrie G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 02, 2007 4:13 pm

Looking for Barcelona food recommendations

by Sherrie G » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:39 am

Looking for lunch and/or dinner suggestions for Barcelona. We'll be there for a few days, at the end of June, before a Western Med. cruise.

Thanks!
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Re: Looking for Barcelona food recommendations

by Deb Hall » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:46 pm

Sherrie-
So jealous, I LOVE Spain and their food!
Sorry I can't help with a specific recommendation( I've only been to Valencia) but here are two suggestions:

Check out the tv series " On the Road- Spain" - with Gwenyth Paltrow and Mario Batali. You should be able to find it on-line and watch episodes. The show is great, and they visit many restaurants. highly recommend any place they love. ( Found one of my my all-time favorite restaurants this way)

Regardless of place, you must try the following: bred with tomatoes and olive oil, olives, gigandes beans and Iberico ham. The latter is very difficult to get in the US and amazing - a must have!

Enjoy!
Deb
User

DanB

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:47 am

San Francisco

by DanB » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:21 am

Cerveseria Catalana between the Rambla and Av Diagonal

Ciudad Condal directly on the Rambla.

Both very good tapas. Probably a line out the door in Summer.

restaurant etapes (side street off the Rambla) more pricey, need reservations.

Under no circumstances the Jules Verne on the Rambla.... but if you walk past, please toss a grenade in the joint for me. Worst tourist trap ever.

There's lots of nice hole in the wall places in the Gothic Quarter for lunch but I can't remember any names there.
no avatar
User

Sherrie G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 02, 2007 4:13 pm

by Sherrie G » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:25 am

Deb, we did enjoy ourselves.
DanB, although we didn't use your recommendations, we are grateful for them! We often plan our days around our meals. But in Barcelona due to jet lag, we did the opposite and happened into the nearest restaurant when our bellies spoke up - quite often ones in the Gothic Quarter. And like you, I don't recall the names of any of them, but they were all good. I never did spy the Jules Verne; unless someone else tossed a grenade in there, I believe it may still be standing.

The last night in Barcelona we ate at Moments, a Michelin star restaurant in the Mandarin Oriental Hotel. We had their tasting menu which was very good. My only complaint (if you can call it that) was that the portions were too large for a tasting menu, IMO. They had an optional cheese tasting that I really wanted to try, but I was full - and we hadn't even gotten to the desserts - and when I say desserts, I mean dessertS... "checkerboard of quark and strawberries, then white dessert, and THEN the "eight pastry divertimenti".

One of my favorite parts of the meal was the of "Beef 'salpicon' with capers ice cream" - just one of the four appetizers. Other highlights were the shrimp & tomato velvet ice cream (similar to a frozen gazpacho), and the Norway lobster stew. We also enjoyed the sea cucumbers, sea bass, and veal cheeks. So much good food - so little room in the belly.