Hitting the road? Ask questions about dining out anywhere, and post your trip reports here!

New Orleans restaurants please

Moderator: Robin Garr

no avatar
User

Ellen P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:44 pm

New Orleans restaurants please

by Ellen P » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:15 pm

Thank you.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Re: New Orleans restaurants please

by Deb Hall » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:32 pm

Ellen,
What kind if places are you looking for?
There is an existing thread on this. I can't paste it now, but you should be able to find it by searching on "Orleans" in the advanced search function.
Dare I guess why you are asking? :wink: :lol:
Deb
no avatar
User

Ellen P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ellen P » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:27 am

Thanks Deb, I will search, since no one else had bumped other search results the top.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:40 am

Bumped it is! Feel free to add new stuff, peeps!
no avatar
User

Harold B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu May 21, 2009 11:58 am

by Harold B » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:51 am

Cochon needs to be on everyone's list. The best word to descibe it is...outstanding.
no avatar
User

Ellen P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ellen P » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:06 pm

Found this on a New Orleans food forum. Sounds like they are still trying to find their way after Katrina, but this person through out a lot of options:

A great way to start is to pinpoint and narrow things down. So, you can start by a dish or style (Duck Confit or Dim Sum for example.) Put your ideas out there...this forum is pretty good for food/wine advice or go to CHOWHOUND or whatever you TRUST. Or just say something like great meal for under $20 and perhaps pick a neighborhood. ZAGAT is also pretty reliable for these types of things. This approach was crucial for me in San Francisco and I had a very high percentage of satisfying experiences because I did a bit of research before just randomly picking a restaurant. You also have to vary your sources. Even some well-seasoned diners/chefs have peculiar hang-ups and preferences. The handful of regular posters here like JAG, Bam, Crush, Bear, Amarone, Paz, and Yvette have a great track record and I'd trust their advice and suggestions above most others because they are ACTIVE and PASSIONATE diners as well as descriptive writers.

Here's a few places that always EXCITE me:
Bayona
Cochon
Cochon BUTCHER
Casamento's
Mahoney's
Gautreau's
Herbsaint
Ancora
Domenica
Clancy's
Banana Blossom
KYOTO

There's a lot of places I want to try: Vizard's, Stella!, McClure's, Bourgne, Patois, Tartine, August, and Origami...just to name a few.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:44 pm

Ellen P wrote:Bayona

This. It was one of the best of New Orleans' more modern style both before Katrina and after.

For old school, a good friend who came from New Orleans and whose family still lives there swears by Galatoire's, and I'm inclined to agree.

And Brightsen's is also good - run by a guy who learned from Paul Prudhomme and then, by some accounts, went on beyond him.

Actually, Prudhomme's K-Paul's Louisiana Kitchen still gets good reviews, even if he does seem like yesterday's news.

And either Acme or Felix's for an old-style oyster bar. Some argue for one or the other. I'll take either one.

We haven't been back to New Orleans post-Katrina, so take all this with a somewhat stale grain of salt. But since my friend goes back there often, is a foodie and loves to talk about thest things, I'd be pretty comfortable with any of them.
User

Antonia L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:28 am

Cherokee Triangle

by Antonia L » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:48 am

Here's another one -

http://forums.louisvillehotbytes.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18991

Bayona is the ultimate.

Coop's on Decatur is on the lower end of the price range, and goo-ood.

Booze: I love the Sazerac at the Carousel bar in the Hotel Monteleone, and the Pimm's Cup at he Napoleon House.
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:00 am

Antonia L wrote: Napoleon House.

Thank you. I've been searching my brain and NOLA pictures trying to remember the name of this place. We loved sitting in the courtyard, sipping a few cocktails, and eating from the cafe menu.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Antonia L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:28 am

Cherokee Triangle

by Antonia L » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:15 am

JustinHammond wrote:
Antonia L wrote: Napoleon House.

Thank you. I've been searching my brain and NOLA pictures trying to remember the name of this place. We loved sitting in the courtyard, sipping a few cocktails, and eating from the cafe menu.

You are most welcome. Last time I was there (summer of 2010), it was my go-to place in the afternoons. When the heat of the day reached its most ridiculous point, making it too hot to rove around town, I would take my book and park at the bar, sipping Pimm's Cups, reading, and talking to Mario the bartender.
no avatar
User

Ellen P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ellen P » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:22 pm

Who would have thought I'd be returning to NOLA. Twice in one year. Only other time, with my family. I was a little girl. I remember it was a professional meeting for my father and he interviewed for a job there. We never left Louisville.
We enjoyed the Crescent City Brewery a couple of times when we were there earlier in the year.
I remember seeing people lined up at Mother's.
I'll look back at the recommendations.
Thanks and Go Cards:-)
no avatar
User

Joel H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:33 am

by Joel H » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:06 am

I'm in New Orleans right now, and I'm not sure why there is any concern for dining here post-Katrina. New Orleans is alive and well, everything from small daiquiri stands and po-boy shacks to Commander's Palace (where I ate tonight). Every place is full, and the city is completely vibrant. Went on a second line parade today uptown, and there were tons of street vendors selling all kinds of awesome street food (and booze in tote-along coolers!). Went to August earlier in the trip and had a great time, as well. And of course, had an amazing burger at the Camellia Grill, an old favorite.