Hitting the road? Ask questions about dining out anywhere, and post your trip reports here!
no avatar
User

Madeline Peters

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:15 pm

St Matthews

Driving from Louisville to Seaside Florida

by Madeline Peters » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:09 pm

For Spring break we are driving down from Louisville to Seaside, Florida. I am looking for advice on what is the best route there and where to stay on the road. Also, are there any do not miss places for food while on the road.
no avatar
User

Ellen P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:44 pm

Re: Driving from Louisville to Seaside Florida

by Ellen P » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:30 pm

We take 65 to Georgiana heading down to DeFuniak. We always drive through unless bad weather stops us in December which it did one year. Co worker has stayed on the state line at Florala but it's alittle beyond our route. SoWal is a great forum to talk to the locals or lovers of 30A. When down there, stick your head in Seacrest Sundries next to Rosemary Beach. Former Louisvillians live there/own that. Love Seaside. One year recently we went 4 times. We could stay anywhere on 30A but choose Seaside for now.

A Brown-Forman co-worker goes down there every Spring Break. They're staying with others in Watercolor this time. We'll be there in June.

(We will get food at Jim & Nicks in Birmingham, maybe exit 56, Oxmoor Road. It's right off the interstate, that's why we stop there and that's good. They've waited on UL teams before :D

Ellen Potter

http://sowal.com/bb/
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:49 pm

My PCB route is 65-S to Montgomery, then US-231. I can't advise on food, I'm usually eating Mingua jerky and Grippo's chips while chugging Jolt cola.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:42 pm

Madeline Peters wrote:For Spring break we are driving down from Louisville to Seaside, Florida. I am looking for advice on what is the best route there and where to stay on the road. Also, are there any do not miss places for food while on the road.

I believe there is a law on the books in Alabama that if you drive within' 15 miles of Big Bob Gibson's BBQ and DON'T stop that there is a healthy fine involved. Me ? I wouldn't take the chance on getting on the wrong side of one of those southern Sheriffs.

Big Bob Gibson's 1715 6th Avenue Southeast, Decatur, AL
(256) 350-6969 ‎ ·

bigbobgibson.com

Gitcha some...
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:21 pm

Madeline,

We take the 83/331 route. We stop overnight mid-way at a Holiday Inn Holidome, but that's mostly for the kids to be able to swim, and because they have suite-size rooms to fit all 5 of us. ( Don't think those apply for you.)

No special eating places on the way down ( other than Jim & Nick's in Birmingham), but we get our favorite honey EVER on 331 on the way down. There's a produce shack on the right hand side of the road on the very last leg- the elderly owner sells "Walton County Tupelo Honey" in pint-sized Mason jars. We buy several and hoard it for future use- it's amazing! Definitely try to get some. ( I'm gladly pay scalpers prices for some if you bring back extras- we are down to our last jars and no trip in sight..... :wink: ).

Enjoy!!!
Deb
no avatar
User

Ellen P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ellen P » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:03 pm

So you haven't stayed on 30a before? Lots of good local restaurants. They're very much anti chains. The restaurants are so good you almost forget about the gulf:-)
no avatar
User

Madeline Peters

{ RANK }

Foodie

St Matthews

by Madeline Peters » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:02 am

Thank you for all your help. We are taking our 17 year old son down for his Spring Break. The majority of his friends are there with their families (I guess this is an annual tradition for Trinity families) and he was so sad not to be part of it. I am shocked at how close Louisville is to this tropical coast. Would you say the drive is 10 hours?

Ellen: Any restaurants you could recommend? Also, thank you for the link to SoWal.
Deb where is the Holiday Inn Holidome? Thanks for the tip on the Tupelo honey. Brought back memories of Van Morrison!
Steve, thanks for the tip on the barbecue joint. There are a few of these legendary barbecue joints scattered all over the South. I have never had a chance to try the real thing so this will be a treat.
Justin: We will pack the jolt

I cannot wait to sit on a beach, feel the sun on my face, the sand on my feet while sipping a margarita!
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:17 am

Madeline Peters wrote: Would you say the drive is 10 hours?

I'd guess you could make it in 10 hours if you drove at night, with only quick restroom/gas breaks, and get lucky with weather and traffic. Doing the drive during the day and stopping every couple of hours for food or restrooms/gas can push the drive to the 11-12 hour range in a hurry.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:02 am

Madeline,

We stay in Decatur ( outside of Huntsville, AL) at this hotel : http://www.holidayinn.com/hotels/us/en/decatur/dcual/hoteldetailIt's a little off the highway ( about 10 mins), but it's about 1/2 way and the suite rate works very well for us. You may meet other Louisville folks there- we have. :wink:

Timing- wise I agree with Justin- it's more like 11-12 ( with very short stops). Expect that it will take longer than that given that it's Spring Break- last trip down we literally ran into people we knew at every gas stop. :lol: Be warned that the 331 route is only a 2 lane in some sections and very heavily trafficked on Saturday with folks heading for their week vacation. We try to hit it either early morning or very late afternoon ( heading south) so we don't get caught in the crush of people trying to make it to their 2:00/3:00 check-in.

Have a fantastic time-Seaside is wonderful!

Deb
no avatar
User

Ellen P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ellen P » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:13 pm

At Seaside, Bud & Alleys upstairs for view and bartendar Moe Tues - Sat . nite. Maybe a smoked tuna dip otherwise overpriced. Dave'splaces there are good, just overpriced. Check out BBQ air streamer across the street. Cafe 30 A I'd wonderful. Actually has half price entrees between 5:00 and 6:00. Santa rosa beach club and fish out of water at Rosemary Beach are beach side. Smiling Fish. Elmo's for the little kids and their parents. AND THE RED BAR at Grayton Beach is at least once or twice a visit. If you can't get in there ask them where their new sister restaurant Louie Louie is located. Moes wife works there. Hint, head to Red Bar before 5:00 to find a place to park and put your name on the list. The bar is open all day and they serve lunch. Seagrove Market might be best value. Nothing is really bad. Choose for location and what kind of food you like. Also the Publix on 395 is a pretty good little grocery.
no avatar
User

Madeline Peters

{ RANK }

Foodie

St Matthews

by Madeline Peters » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:55 am

Made it to Christianos (very good family run Italian restaurant), Louie Louie (best smoked trout appetizer), Local Catch (new restaurant that is fabulous), Stinkie's fish camp (for oysters, WOW), La Cocina Mexicana in Rosemary Beach (loved the decor. Food was good). Weather was beautiful if a little on the cool side. Last day was the best. The beaches remind me of Hawaii. Gorgeous and very private.