Hitting the road? Ask questions about dining out anywhere, and post your trip reports here!

Bowling Green, Kentucky

Moderator: Robin Garr

User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

Bowling Green, Kentucky

by Ed Vermillion » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:08 am

I'll be in Bowling Green KY this coming Friday & Saturday for an Emergency Management conference. Lunch both days will be the usual Holiday Inn catered affair but I'm hoping someone has a recommendation for a decent dinner spot. Will have transportation so getting around town won't be an issue. Great steak or burger or something unique would be great. While I've enjoyed a Krystal burger while traveling through, I'm sure that they have something much better to offer. Here's to hope!
no avatar
User

RichardM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:18 am

Louisville, KY

Re: Bowling Green, Kentucky

by RichardM » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:15 am

Ed,

I wrote a friend of ours and she replied...

440 main
Vinos. Not upscale but good Italian.
Bistro

I can certify that 440 Main is awesome.

Richard
Richard Lord Meadows, Earl of Vienna, Marquess of Morgantown and Westover, Baronet of Parkersburg, and West Virginia’s Ambassador to the Portland Neighborhood.
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ed Vermillion » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:37 am

Thanks Richard! Would it be possible to ask her about Anna's Greek Restaurant? Anna is reported to have owned a restaurant in Santorini, Greece for 15 years and looking at the menu it looks like the real deal. Just 2.5 miles from the hotel and looking like a winner. Bowling Green can have a full blown Greek restaurant but not us. :cry: Wish she had stayed on the interstate just a few miles more!
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:37 am

Mariah's is a long-standing local favorite, Ed. It's downtown on State Street, just a tad past the square.
no avatar
User

RichardM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:18 am

Louisville, KY

by RichardM » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:09 pm

Ed Vermillion wrote:Thanks Richard! Would it be possible to ask her about Anna's Greek Restaurant? Anna is reported to have owned a restaurant in Santorini, Greece for 15 years and looking at the menu it looks like the real deal. Just 2.5 miles from the hotel and looking like a winner. Bowling Green can have a full blown Greek restaurant but not us. :cry: Wish she had stayed on the interstate just a few miles more!

I haven't been but my family has and loved it. Very authentic and fun. And, in a IM she said that her nieces just love the place.

Richard
Richard Lord Meadows, Earl of Vienna, Marquess of Morgantown and Westover, Baronet of Parkersburg, and West Virginia’s Ambassador to the Portland Neighborhood.
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:46 pm

I've been there several times, like they said authentic Greek Restaurant, pretty much has all the standard greek dishes... Souvlaki, Moussaka, Lamb, Chicken , Gyros etc.
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:56 pm

The Bistro is pretty good also...

http://www.thebistrobg.com/

The Thai Thai place is great also...

http://thaithairest-bg.webs.com/
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:59 pm

User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:37 pm

Ooooh- great post! Sara will be going to Western next year, so we need this list. :D

Ed,
After you go, will you post what you liked? We'll be there again on March 24th for orientation.

Deb
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:11 pm

Spencer's on the Square is good for coffee
Griffs Deli is good for lunch ( wraps) also Cambridge Market ( meat plus 3 )
There a place right off the square "Taste of Europe" that has great gyros but its tiny and not fancy at all.
Brickyard is okay, owned by Bosnians who own a bunch of restaurants in town.
Double Dogs is a great sports bar type place has great burgers, fries etc and Sports bar type food.
American Donuts on the bypass is locally famous also
Garcia's grill is good for upscale Mexican also.
Chaney's Dairy Barn for Ice Cream and a Moo-vie

Bowling Green also has every chain you could possibly imagine, pretty good fooide town for its size.
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ed Vermillion » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:52 pm

Thanks Richard, Todd & Gary! All sound great, much better to have choices. I'm a sucker for good Greek food but it alol depends on my mood at the time.

Deb: I'll let you know what I sample. :D

Thanks again.
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:57 am

Gary mentioned it above, but I like Brickyard (http://brickyardcafe.net/). I've only been to the Franklin spot, but I assume the the Bowling Green spot is the same or similar.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ed Vermillion » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:05 am

Anticlimactic would be an understatement. I'm sure that Todd has this happen all the time. You find yourself so overtaken by the work that you collapse in a heap at the end of the day, grateful for a spoonful of whatever. I managed to find a spinach/boursin stuffed portabello mushroom cap and a shredded crispy onion side at the hotel and promptly collapsed into bed Friday night. I finished the conference with a deep longing for home and high tailed it up the road to a fabulous round of fish & chips at the Rover,Too in LaGrange. Home is where the heart is.
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:27 am

Shame ... Shame .... Shame ... Ed Vermillion give me my electrons back !
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:03 pm

Ed Vermillion wrote:Anticlimactic would be an understatement. I'm sure that Todd has this happen all the time. You find yourself so overtaken by the work that you collapse in a heap at the end of the day, grateful for a spoonful of whatever. I managed to find a spinach/boursin stuffed portabello mushroom cap and a shredded crispy onion side at the hotel and promptly collapsed into bed Friday night. I finished the conference with a deep longing for home and high tailed it up the road to a fabulous round of fish & chips at the Rover,Too in LaGrange. Home is where the heart is.

Ed,

Been there, done that. While I really try to eat at great local places while travelling, sometimes it feels like a forced march. Once last year, I feigned minor illness to go back to my room, order room service and watch an old movie, rather than eat with customers at the 4 star place I'd carefully made a reservation at..... :shock:
Glad you are happily back home.
Deb