Hitting the road? Ask questions about dining out anywhere, and post your trip reports here!

Nada Restaurant

Moderator: Robin Garr

User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

Nada Restaurant

by Ron Johnson » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:47 am

Any word on an opening date for David Faulk's new nuevo mexicano restaurant?
no avatar
User

Danielle D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue May 01, 2007 11:33 am

by Danielle D » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:10 am

I emailed them earlier in the fall and at that time they told me they hoped to open around November 1st. I'm not sure if that's still the plan or not but I hope so! I saw that they were hiring online but that's all I could find. If you hear anything, please let us all know!
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron Johnson » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:32 pm

I will. After my disappointing meal at Via Vite, I am looking forward to this restaurant opening more than ever.
User

Susan W.

{ RANK }

Just got here

Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:15 pm

Cincinnati

by Susan W. » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:37 pm

Nada opened Monday, Dec. 3.

http://www.eatdrinknada.com/main.html
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron Johnson » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:39 am

I tried to go. 3 hour wait and the bar was three deep.
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron Johnson » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:36 am

ok, so I went last night. The dinner was good, but getting to that point was an odd experience.

first, I called to make a reservation. I was told 6pm or 10pm. Neither of those worked for me, so I declined and told them I would come another night. At that point the manager admitted to me that only the upstairs of the restaurant was reserved, and that downstairs was for walk-ins. He told me to come at 7 pm and there would be a table ready in no more than 10 minutes. We arrived at 7 pm, and when I went to the reception desk, I was told that the wait for a table was at least one hour and fifteen minutes. I was a little angry, and said thanks, but I would go elsewhere. My wife, having a cooler head than I, prevailed with the management and somehow secured a table for us.

Two things struck me about the menu. It was smaller than I anticipated and it offered less in the way of Frontera Grill type food than I expected. There is a short list of appetizers, including some delicious braised short-rib sopas and house made guacamole. Then there is a list of tacos: barbacoa, carnitas, chicken, and fried mahi-mahi Baja style. Then there are some soups and salads followed by a list of cazuelas. In my experience cazuelas refer to the earthenware dishes that are used extensively in spanish cuisine for roasting various or cooking stove top. Here, the cazuela is used to describe dishes cooked in a small cast-iron crock. OK. After the cazuelas, there is a short list of more traditional main courses, including a roast chicken, a mahi-mahi, and a pork chop.
My wife had the mahi-mahi tacos, and I opted for the pork chop. The tacos were superb. My pork chop was very good, but it could've been served in any restaurant. There was nothing especially mexican or latin inspired about the preparation. It was cooked perfectly and I ate every morsel.
I enjoyed two of the house margaritas, which are fairly priced at $7 and made with fresh lime juice instead of that awful mix.
Service was friendly, at times overly so. Prior to the delivery of our main courses, I asked for a second margarita. Because our server got involved in a lengthy discussion about her childhood with the next table, the drink was not delivered until I was almost finished with the pork chop. Aside from that little snafu, it was courteous and correct.
The space is really attractive. It has very much of an upscale lounge feel with low slung tables and long banquette that snakes across the upstairs dining room. The crescent shaped bar is the focal piece of the downstairs area. The clientele is uber-hip and fairly young.
This is a welcome addition to downtown. David Falk, the owner, was on premises for the night.
User

BDKollker

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:38 pm

Outside the Box Nashvegas

last week

by BDKollker » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:52 pm

My girlfriend and I spent two days in Cincy last week to get out of Louisville for a breather. I am friends with NADA's chef de cusine , Mitch Arens and spent two days with him last week. He had my girlfriend and I for dinner and sent out about 75% of the menu for us. It was very very good. Ron what did you think about the chips. Mitch said that he gets them from a company in Chicago that hand makes them and ships them that day. When they fry what they need for the day they have to add more oil to the fryer half way through because they soak up so much oil. I have never had a better tortilla chip. They almost had a filo dough consistancy to them in the way they had layers. I think we should have been warned not to go crazy indulging with the chips and guac because of all that was ahead of us. I can't even explain how much I enjoyed the barbacoa on the crispy masa. One of the greatest things I have ever eaten, period! I had absolutly no complaints about the food at all. The only problem I had was the t-shirts that the servers wear. It just seemed to bring the beautiful design and decor of the restaurant down a notch. I have never been so full of food before in my life. It was almost painful.

Prost!
Blake Kollker

Blakekollker.com
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron Johnson » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:39 pm

I agree on the chips. I thought all the food we ordered tasted very good.