Hitting the road? Ask questions about dining out anywhere, and post your trip reports here!

Little Italy NYC worth while?

Moderator: Robin Garr

User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

Little Italy NYC worth while?

by John Hagan » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:03 am

Im going to back in NYC shortly and have a couple days that I will not have to be working. I have never been down to that part of the city before and was wondering if it was worth going considering my limited time frame. One of the reasons I ask is a fair amount of the reports on trip adviser seem to indicate it more of tourist spot now limited to just a few block area void of anything "real". Anybody been over there lately?
The tall one wants white toast, dry, with nothin' on it.
And the short one wants four whole fried chickens, and a Coke.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Little Italy NYC worth while?

by Robin Garr » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:21 am

John, Little Italy has mostly been taken over by Chinese expansion, and much of what's left is a little touristy, yeah. But it might be worth a trip, if you've never been before, just to get a glimpse of what's left of it. It kind of depends on how you personally balance authenticity against nostalgia.

Arthur Avenue in the Bronx will give you much more of a sense of an old NYC Italian neighborhood, but it will be harder to get to. Or Cobble Hill in Brooklyn, a little more yuppified but a little closer to Manhattan.
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:21 pm

We were there (Mulberry St) in Dec. of 2009 and enjoyed it. We did get the impression that it isn't what it used to be, but when combined with a stroll through Chinatown, it is worth a few hours of your day.
Last edited by JustinHammond on Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:40 pm

annemarie m wrote:robin you're not going to dispute this are you? :wink:

Not me! It's as Italian as orange grease! :lol:

I will say this, though: I don't know when you left, Annemarie, but I first spent any time around Little Italy in the '60s, and it really has changed a lot since then. Chinatown has grown north of Canal Street, and an awful lot of the old Italian families have moved to the suburbs. But if you read my response to John before you put up your post, you'll see that I told him it's worth a visit just for the nostalgia. No disagreement there.
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:23 pm

John- it's definitely worth the visit and where else can you have a dim sum lunch followed by the country's best cannoli by travelling only across a street?
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:01 pm

by GaryF » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:23 pm

. . . where else can you have a dim sum lunch followed by the country's best cannoli by travelling only across a street?

Love it!
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

by John Hagan » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:31 pm

Ok, thanks for the input. We will put it on our to do list. Im guessing we will also check out Arthur street and pick up a few goodies for a nice lunch at the botanical gardens nearby(weather permitting).
The tall one wants white toast, dry, with nothin' on it.
And the short one wants four whole fried chickens, and a Coke.