Hitting the road? Ask questions about dining out anywhere, and post your trip reports here!

Sarasota?

Moderator: Robin Garr

no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

Sarasota?

by Linda C » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:46 am

Hi y'all. Taking DD#2 down to FL to look at colleges in a couple weeks. We will be in Sarasota for 2 days and a brief scan of Open Table and Trip Advisor assured me that there's some good eating there. Anyone have a favorite or a true Sarasota "must" ?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Sarasota?

by Robin Garr » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:52 am

I kept hoping for a better answer before I jumped in with a half-baked recollection, but for what it's worth, I remember having a really good seafood dinner at a place near the ocean where the tables were made of plexiglass over a shadowbox display of sand, shells and starfish. It was a little hokey but made enough of an impression on me that I remembered it instantly when you said "Sarasota." Not much help, I know ...
no avatar
User

Rick Boman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:26 am

by Rick Boman » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:52 am

I remember eating at Walt's Fish Market. Standard seafood house, pick your own lobster or crabs. Very good, very fresh, on the water. They also are a real fish market and sell fresh fish in the other half of the space. This was at least 20 years ago. I was young and we would go to Sarasota every summer as a family vacation.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:00 pm

Rick Boman wrote:I remember eating at Walt's Fish Market. Standard seafood house, pick your own lobster or crabs. Very good, very fresh, on the water.

I think that may be the place I'm thinking about!

It's still around, too, since 1918. Here's their Website:

http://waltsfishmarketrestaurant.com/
User

Jeffrey D.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:49 am

Prospect

by Jeffrey D. » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:02 pm

OK. We have many "favorite" places in and around Sarasota, so pay close attention:

First and foremost, Alday's BBQ. It is carry out only, open on weekends only and on the pad at a service station at Beneva and Buena Vista. FABULOUS. Regular BBQ stuff, best ribs I've ever had and, sometimes, smoked salmon and smoked lamb pops. The salmon is to die for.

Less than a block west from Alday's, down Buena Vista is Yoder's - a real deal Amish restaurant, gift shop and fresh vegetable and fruit market complex. There's a large contingent of Amish folks living in Sarasota, mostly off of Beneva, close to this place. Good home-cookin'

Pizza (and other good stuff) - Cafe Epicure, in town. Great bistro stuff, but I like their pizza so much that's it's all I ever get. Wife loves their tomato and mozz sandwich.

Mexican - authentic New Mexican at El Toro - a hole in the wall in small strip center on Bee Ridge; all fresh and terrific.

Seafood and funky atmosphere - Owen's Fish Camp, on Burns St., downtown - great stuff and neat place - very popular, so go early - great fish spread on saltines appetizer.

Diner - Honey Tree Cafe - about a block north of University, off Lockwood Ridge - good breakfasts and lunch specials and sandwiches

Breakfast - Country Pancake House - Lakewood Ranch - massive pancake sides to a large variety of main courses

Seafood - nicer - Crab & Fin at St. Armands Circle

Seafood - Casey Key Fish House in Osprey - good place on the water; Walt's is good, too, as others have mentioned. I'd stay away from Barnacle Bills and Phillippi Creek Village - both are spotty and kind of touristy.

Seafood - Linger Lodge - out in the coutry and really old-timey; set in a 1950's style traler park, sitting on a bayou and full of stuffed critters and man-lodge type stuff - - think Lynn's with critters and huntung gear instead of garish bric-brak. Good gator chowder. :shock:

Fried food and sandwiches - Old Salty Dog - on the bay - once featured on Man vs. Food - need I say more? :roll:

Ice Cream - Kilwin's at St. Armands, also - there's a Ben & Jerry's, too, but we prefer Kilwin's

Thai - Tropical Thai, downtown, elegant and very comprehensive menu

A little more upscale mexican - Two Senoritas, downtown

American - Patrick's, downtown

There's lots of other great places, somewhat depending upon what part of town you'll be in. Feel free to IM me for any other information or questions. Is New College of Florida one of the schools your child is cinsidering? If so, our daughter is a New College graduate. We can't praise the place highly enough and are happy to talk about that, too. (And can explain how we saved some on tuition there, too).

Anyway, good luck. We love Sarasota - lots to do and many great places to eat. Hope you enjoy! :D
My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Linda C » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:08 pm

Wow, thanks all of you for the suggestions! We are going to Sarasota to look at Ringling School of Art and Design. We're visiting Central Florida in Orlando as well. If she gets in at Ringling, I'll have lots of great options when I visit!
User

Jeffrey D.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:49 am

Prospect

by Jeffrey D. » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:54 pm

Linda C wrote:Wow, thanks all of you for the suggestions! We are going to Sarasota to look at Ringling School of Art and Design. We're visiting Central Florida in Orlando as well. If she gets in at Ringling, I'll have lots of great options when I visit!

The Art and Design School is great. Super campus. It's just a little further south than New College on Tamiami (US 41). As long as you're there, go up the road to the New College administration building. It is the former Ringling mansion and is too cool to describe.
Here's a link to a link to other stuff in and around Sarasota:
http://www.ncf.edu/around-town
My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Linda C » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:36 pm

Just back from a trip to Orlando and Sarasota. We were indeed impressed by Ringling and if she gets in, it will be great. We also went up to the Ringling mansion and museum. We saw the art museum as well as the circus museum. Fantastic! The Ringlings were more lavish than the Edisons and Fords down in Ft Myers. Lots of gorgeous imported Italian marble and Italianate architecture/furniture. Their rail car is also on display- really interesting.Unfortunately, I was in severe pain due to a back injury and we had to have room service twice. The one time we ventured out ( a half block) we went to Cha Cha Coconuts in St Armand's Circle. It's a great little spot for drinks and pub style fare- the fish tacos were fantastic! Big plump fresh grouper- oh yum. Like I said, I sure hope she gets into the very small and prestigious Ringling school of design. I told her to try and meet someone with a house on the water and a nice dinghy. (big blush) Can't wait to go back! Lovely town.