Hitting the road? Ask questions about dining out anywhere, and post your trip reports here!

Where should we go?

Moderator: Robin Garr

no avatar
User

Pete O

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:25 pm

Where should we go?

by Pete O » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:06 am

My wife and I were planning on returning to the Napa Valley at the beginning of August for a week long getaway. However, I had my weight loss surgery consult yesterday, and my surgery is scheduled for 9/19. So Napa is off the table :cry: However, we would still like to getaway for a long weekend, and I am looking for ideas on where to go. I am looking for somewhere that is easily driveable for a 3-day weekend, and some place that has lots to do. My wife loves a good show, so somewhere with a godd theatre is a plus.

Since I am preparing for weight loss surgery, this will not be a food centric trip, although a good meal is a plus ... I just can't make it my focus.

Any thoughts?
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

Re: Where should we go?

by JustinHammond » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:59 am

Nashville, TN

Short drive, tons to do, awesome live music, good theatre, good food, nearby wineries, ect.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6935

http://www.ryman.com/

http://www.tpac.org/

http://www.countrymusichalloffame.org/

http://www.nashville.gov/parthenon/
Last edited by JustinHammond on Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Harold B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu May 21, 2009 11:58 am

by Harold B » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:16 am

We went to Chicago last weekend. We went to explore some museums, but I noticed multiple Broadway and Off-Broadway shows playing. 5 and 1/2 hour drive.
no avatar
User

Art T

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:57 pm

by Art T » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:19 am

Lap band was the best thing I ever did, 125 pounds and counting. I can eat what i want, just not tons of it.
no avatar
User

Pete O

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Pete O » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:09 am

Art T wrote:Lap band was the best thing I ever did, 125 pounds and counting. I can eat what i want, just not tons of it.

Glad to hear it Art, I am going one step further and am scheduled for a Vertical Sleeve. I have about 190 lbs to lose.
no avatar
User

Art T

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:57 pm

by Art T » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:56 pm

Pete O wrote:
Art T wrote:Lap band was the best thing I ever did, 125 pounds and counting. I can eat what i want, just not tons of it.

Glad to hear it Art, I am going one step further and am scheduled for a Vertical Sleeve. I have about 190 lbs to lose.

Good luck. Don't forget to save a pair of giant pants for good pictures. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

by Linda C » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:01 pm

Go to Sonoma as well. Napa is so overpriced and Disney-ish.
no avatar
User

Pete O

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Pete O » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:55 am

Linda C wrote:Go to Sonoma as well. Napa is so overpriced and Disney-ish.

I can't believe how expensive the Napa Valley has become. 9 1/2 years ago, we stayed at the Yountville Inn for our honeymoon. The place was incredible ... exposed redwood beam ceilings, a fireplace and private patio/deck. Everything on their continental breakfast was scratch made, and the shrubs in the landscaping were large rosemary bushes, so the grounds always smelled great ... especially after the landscaping crew came through. Our room was $250/night, which was pricey, but we allowed ourselves the luxury for out honeymoon.

So, naturally, this was my first choice when we decided to go back. In the last year or two, they have revamped the Inn to a high-end, ultra chic destination resort and changed the name to Hotel Yountville. Rooms now cost between $450 and $800/night :shock: :shock: No, thanks, I'll stay at the Holiday Inn Express.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Asheville

by Deb Hall » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:08 pm

Pete,

We love Asheville ( 4.5 hours) for that kind of trip. You can rent many nice cabins ( many with mountain views) on www.vrbo.com or stay at one of the nice hotels. Biltmore is fabulous and a great full-day sightseeing trip; the little downtown area has bunches of cute galleries to walk around in , and great little restaurants. And if you are celebrating, I HIGHLY recommend the spa at Grove Park Inn for 1/2 day. ( You don't have to be a hotel guest; but definitely book ahead). The spa is built out of mountain rocks and you feel like you are in another world. Treatments are pricey ( but very good), but you can also buy a day-pass to use their grotto pools, w/ hot & cold plunge pools and waterfalls, hang out on their terrace by a fire. Other- worldly. Incredibly relaxing and romantic way to spend a good part of a day. I've been to many spas, but this one is the best ever!

Deb
no avatar
User

AmyBK

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:32 pm

Main St. days, East End nights

by AmyBK » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:26 am

I couldn't agree more with Deb about Asheville, the Biltmore, and the Spa at the Grove Park Inn. My husband and I just love going to Asheville. The Spa at the GPI is so incredible and we are not "spa people" usually. I would drop everything and go in a heartbeat. Asheville is very walkable, good food options, fun shops. We have rented resort cabins at Willow Winds (www.willowwinds.com) 3 out of the last 4 years and been very happy. Now I'm going to be thinking about the hot water waterfalls all day while sitting at my desk at work.
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:00 pm

I totally agree with Deb and Amy! Additionally, I always enjoy the Southern Highland craft Guild Folk Art Center, Milepost 382 Blue Ridge Parkway, Asheville.
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
no avatar
User

Pam Farmer

{ RANK }

Just got here

Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:17 pm

by Pam Farmer » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:03 pm

And I third Asheville. I just posted my favorite places under the Asheville query. Biltmore is definitely worth a day, if only to experience its opulent excess. I would do one of the private tours.

We had lunch at Cedric's in the new Antler Hill Village last trip. They bring out yummy complementary pickles before the meal and will share the recipe if you ask. Still looking for the 5# of cucumbers I need . . . And they have a GREAT beer menu.