Hitting the road? Ask questions about dining out anywhere, and post your trip reports here!

Philadelphia recommendations

Moderator: Robin Garr

no avatar
User

Corey A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:44 pm

Paintsville

Philadelphia recommendations

by Corey A » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:47 pm

I'll be attending a wedding near Philadelphia in September and plan on staying a few nights in the city. Are there any food experiences that I should not miss? I already plan on doing the omakase at Morimoto's, degustazione at Vetri, mesibah at Zahav, and the turista at Modo Mio. Basically, many tasting menus!

I may be able to make the chef's tasting at Han Dynasty, but if not, I still plan on going there for some face melting Sichuan cuisine. Reading Terminal Market will be on the agenda as well.

Thanks for your time!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Philadelphia recommendations

by Robin Garr » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:30 pm

Whoa! It sounds like you have a great set of dining experiences lined up already, Corey! Are you going to leave room for a cheesesteak? :lol:
no avatar
User

Corey A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Paintsville

by Corey A » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:12 am

Robin Garr wrote:Whoa! It sounds like you have a great set of dining experiences lined up already, Corey! Are you going to leave room for a cheesesteak? :lol:

But of course! I'll probably try a few different places, but will avoid Pat's and Geno's like the plague!
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:50 pm

We had a great meal at Buddakan (http://www.buddakan.com/) a few years ago. I also highly recommend hitting up the Amish/Pennsylvania Dutch stand at Reading Terminal for breakfast/brunch.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
no avatar
User

Corey A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Paintsville

by Corey A » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:12 am

Came back home on Sunday and I was completely blown away by the dining experiences in Philly; Han Dynasty, Zahav and Vetri being the highlights.

If you get the chance to go to Vetri, it is definitely worth the splurge.

Han Dynasty featured the best Sichuan cuisine that I've had. Handmade dan dan noodles and cold beef & tripe in chili oil being my favorite dishes of the night. The owner, Han Chiang, is a cantankerous thirty-something dude that rules his restaurant with an iron fist. He told us some great stories such as how fuqi feipian got its' funky name.

Perhaps the most shocking aspect was how much of a bargain this was. I had to book it two months in advance, but it is a grand tasting banquet that happens on the first Monday of every month. $25 cash not including tip, but no tax. Beer was no charge, but I definitely factored it into the tip. We ended up getting 22 courses total which were served family style. About 11 courses into the feast, Han told us we had made the halfway mark and not to "puss out" on him. A very funny and passionate guy, if you know how to take him. I would highly recommend this place to anyone.