Hitting the road? Ask questions about dining out anywhere, and post your trip reports here!

Louisville Trip

Moderator: Robin Garr

no avatar
User

Robert Cole

{ RANK }

Just got here

Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:34 am

Louisville Trip

by Robert Cole » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:04 pm

We just rewarded ourselves with a fun weekend in Louisville. Took our two Cincinnati grandsons back, meeting their dad in Louisville. We had the boys for ten days, plus the two St. Louis boys for eight days, both groups, ages 3 to 9, overlapping for four days.

MC and I really needed a break.

Friday evening : went to happy hour at Asiatique-one of our favorite Louisville restaurants. Had always wanted to try their half price appt/wines, but the timing was never right. Had Roasted Duck Breast, Ahi Tuna, Panko Crusted Calamari, Woked Spicy Lamb, and Five Spiced Shrimp. Loved the Calamari and Shrimp. Enjoyed the Tuna and Duck. Less so for the Lamb. Odd in that we have always loved lamb. Perhaps the texture.

Friendly and informative staff. Did feel a bit lonely in Lounge A, with only the two of us. Usually prefer bar atmosphere but bar stools didn't fit old age back.

Def. will return, for both regular dining and happy hour.

S aturday morning: Okay, so it was more like 2 PM by the time we were out of the hotel. Had read about Ghyslain's French Onion Soup, a dish MC loves. Had the French Onion Soup and Claim Chowder. Best French Onion Soup ever. Chowder very fresh, but perhaps a bit light for my taste. Would try chowder again.

Saturday evening : Second trip to Gary's on Spring.We considered trying a new place, as we don't get to Louisville often. Decided on Gary's because we enjoyed it so much the first time.

Ordered Potato Encrusted Grouper, as on first visit. Also ordered Shrimp Provencal. Loved the Grouper. MC also loved the Shrimp, while I found the sauce a bit thin. Just prefer a thicker sauce. Left over Shrimp excellent for breakfast the next morning, with a light spicy wine.

Considered ordering the Lamb again, but was a bit disappointed with this dish on our first visit. Would still try again because I love the idea of lamb and phyllo.

Wonderful service. Manager Greg Fearing introduced himself to us, stating that he remembered us from our first visit. I think that's because we got lost and had to call three times for direction.

Sunday morning : We actually got up early, as I wanted to try a fresh plain Croissant at Ghyslain. It was absolutely the best Croissant I've had in years. MC's Chocolate Almond Croissant was filled with very rich chocolate. Also loved the French Press Coffee. We still have our Dark Roast Community Coffee shipped up from Louisiana for our daily use. The French Press coffee was like being back in Louisiana.

Sunday afternoon : Okay, I admit that I fell in love with Ghyslain's. I vote for bistro rather than deli or chocolatier, not that it really matters (-:

I felt like we were back in one of the larger cities we have lived in or visited. I found the menu very interesting, the items well prepared, and also found the place excellent for people watching.

We ordered the Assorted Charcuterie & Fromage and the Espresso BBQ Pulled Pork Brioche. I don't think we would have the meat/cheese platter again but it was fun to try. Did enjoy the two duck items and several of the cheeses. Overall the meats did not compare with some we have had in Seattle. Still good though.

The BBQ offered a delightful somewhat sweet coffee flavor. It is difficult to consider the item to be BBQ, in that it was just so different from traditional BBQ. Nevertheless, great taste.

When discussing the Saturday soup/chowder lunch with the staff, they offered a taste of the Gumbo. Excellent taste, with a different seasoning than we grew up with in Louisiana.

Had two red Zins, both good. Of course I don't remember the vineyards.

Staff tends to be young, friendly and fun. Some are rather uneducated in the details of the items on the menu. An exception was Gary. He was a fount of info on all menu items, as well as on Ghyslain's background.

Okay, then a two hour drive to Owensboro. Can't wait for our next trip. rlc & mdc
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

Re: Louisville Trip

by Gayle DeM » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:19 pm

What a delightful post! Welcome to the LouisvilleHotbytes Forums, Robert.
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:29 pm

Echoing Gayle, thanks for your diary of your Louisville weekend, Bob! Glad you found your way to the forum, and please feel free to jump in any time.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:53 am

Welcome Robert and many thanks for your delightful post. Please let us know what you find in Owensboro as well.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Brian Taylor Clark

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:58 am

Louisville, Ky

by Brian Taylor Clark » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:51 pm

It makes me so happy when guests come to Louisville and have a great time. I have a lot of Louisville pride, and it brings a smile to my face when I read threads like this. Hopefully you will be back sooner than later!
Brian Taylor Clark
Real Estate Agent-Semonin Realtors-502-558-1441
Specializing in Investment Property/Client Sales in the Highlands, Germantown, Crescent Hill, and St. Matthews