Hitting the road? Ask questions about dining out anywhere, and post your trip reports here!

great service/ food

Moderator: Robin Garr

no avatar
User

Paula B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:59 pm

great service/ food

by Paula B » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:16 am

Just wanted to give a brief recap of the great cinci experience anoosh and I had this week..

Greeup cafe was Great! Fresh food, friendly service.

JeanRo Bistro-- the french fries were ok-- cheese pretty good, but the server was exceptional. We mentioned that we needed to find a place to buy coffee for the next morning, it was late, and we did not want to buy starbucks. The server asked if we would like some of their coffee to take w/ us-- whole bean or ground. Also, only charged us a minimal amount for great coffee.

Boca-- very good service- waiter even mapquested us directions to our next destination. Menu very limited for vegetarians, wouldn't go out of our way to go back.

Honey-- Great place-- great food and service-- The best fries I have ever had. Not a great location, but the patio was perfect.

The Wine Cellar-- Neat atmosphere, though we are very spoiled by L & N in louisville, and were expecting more selections by the glass.

On our next trip want to try Mesh, Nada, and Pho Paris.
We did have some great food in 2 days.
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:01 pm

wow, you did well.

Are you a vegetarian? if so, that would explain our different views on Boca. For me, it is the best restaurant in Cincinnati right now, bar none, but for vegetarians I could see some issues. Did you mention your dietary restrictions? I am sure they would've accomodated you by offering some other things.

I agree with you on Bistro Jean Ro, although I rate the frites a little more highly than you do. Thye could vary from visit to visit. I've not had such good experiences at Greenup. While I love the pastries and breakfast, I find the dinner menu sort of flat and uninspiring.

I've been to Honey once, but I didn't get the fries. Maybe I should have. I can see why it would be a great choice for a vegetarian though.

For your next trip, Nada and Pho Paris are great ideas. Instead of Mesh, I would steer you toward Daveed's and/or Nectar. If you liked Honey, I bet you would love Nectar. (That sounds like a song title).
no avatar
User

Danielle D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue May 01, 2007 11:33 am

by Danielle D » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:28 pm

Wow, someone who didn't love Boca? That's a first! That is hands down my favorite restaurant in Cincinnati. I actually think it's better than any restaurant in Louisville or Lexington. I guess they don't have that many vegetarian selections but I know David would have made adjustments for you if you would have asked. The last time I was there Jane Seymour was there and David made a special tasting menu for her and her entire table. Just on the spot. He's opening another restaurant in downtown Cincinnati that's mexican/latin style - maybe more like tapas but I'm not sure. Can't wait for that to open!
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron Johnson » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:41 am

Boca is great. the new place downtown is ccalled Nada, and it is going to be more like Frontera Grill in Chicago than a spanish restaurant. I don't think it will be tapas. Should be great though.
no avatar
User

Paula B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:59 pm

boca

by Paula B » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:15 am

For the record on Boca, we did ask what they could or would do to make something vegetarian. As 1 of us (not me) is a top chef, he even offered what would be easy to alter, and still taste good. Perhaps as they were busy it was asking too much for more than plain pasta. It was a great atmosphere, but we found several other places that would rate higher in our book.

Look forward to trying Nectar and some others on our next whirlwind food trip.
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron Johnson » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:04 am

wow, that is really disappointing to hear that Boca's response to a request for a vegetarian dish was to offer you plain pasta. It has been six months or so since I've been, maybe the place has really fallen apart. That is disturbing news.