Hitting the road? Ask questions about dining out anywhere, and post your trip reports here!

Road Trip to St. Louis

Moderator: Robin Garr

no avatar
User

Caroline K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:45 am

Road Trip to St. Louis

by Caroline K » Mon May 23, 2011 1:46 pm

Traveling to St. Louis soon-Does anyone have some good Breakfast spots or Funky Eateries to visit along the 64 West Route? Thanks!!
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

Re: Road Trip to St. Louis

by Brad Keeton » Mon May 23, 2011 3:49 pm

It is pretty much a rural wasteland between here and St. Louis. There are a few points along the Indiana stretch that might yield something (Evansville, IN/Henderson, KY, Jasper, Mt. Carmel).

Once you cross into Illinois, there is literally nothing until you hit the St. Louis outskirts, with the exception of fast food/truckstops at the Mt. Vernon exit about an hour shy of St. Louis. Also, make sure you have enough gas to get you an hour or so into Illinois, or you could be in trouble.

I went to law school in St. Louis while my now-wife lived here, so I did that drive countless times (usually twice/month for three years). My recommendation is fill up on gas in Evansville, then head for St. Louis without stopping. There are enough great restaurants there - just wait until you arrive.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon May 23, 2011 3:58 pm

Isn't the Evansville area known for its brain sandwiches? :P And German fare around Jasper? I think Brad's onto it, though: Save yourself for St. Louis and fill up while you're there. Pack a picnic basket with light treats for the long drive.
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Mon May 23, 2011 5:00 pm

Schnitzlebank in Jasper for German stuff. There an Amish Buffet place right at Rte 41 and I 64 thats good in Evansville. It's a short drive to get to Jasper off of I64. Same thing to drive into Evansville about a 20 minute trip.

GG
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

Re: Road Trip to St. Louis - Schnitzelbank

by Gary Guss » Mon May 23, 2011 5:01 pm

no avatar
User

Caroline K

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Caroline K » Mon May 23, 2011 7:29 pm

Thanks All! I have been to the Schnitzelbank in Jasper-we go to Santa Claus World every year and go there for dinner-LOVE it!! We are going for a graduation so the main meal we will eat out will be Breakfast and lunch the two days we are there...they have both nights booked with eats and parties. Thanks again-Caroline
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:39 pm

by Christina Firriolo » Mon May 23, 2011 11:50 pm

Just outside of Evansville is a little place called the Hornet's Nest. It's nothing fancy, but has the BEST prime rib (Friday and Saturday nights only), fried chicken and beer battered onion rings.

You may want to call ahead to check, but I bet they still have the Sunday buffet which usually has prime rib, omelettes made to order, and lots of other yummy stuff.

I worked there off and on for about ten years, only quitting because I moved to Louisville. I worked as a bartender, a server, a hostess, sometimes salad prep and sometime omelette maker. :lol: It was family owned at the time, (rip Jon Fink...you are truly missed) and I'm not sure if Linda still owns it, but I can't see someone changing it, much. The regulars wouldn't allow it. :lol:

Here's a review and directions: http://blogs.courierpress.com/diningclu ... horne.html

Here's a picture: http://blogs.courierpress.com/diningclu ... horne.html

It looks like a hole in the wall, (and I guess it is) but it's a treasure. As the review said, you're just as likely to run into your attorney there, as the guy who cuts your lawn. (and everyone in between!) The people there are like family, even if you're meeting them for the very first time.
"Wine is sunlight, held together by water!" ~Galileo Gallilei
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Tue May 24, 2011 8:43 am

Hi Caroline,

This place was well worth the minor detour it takes to get to Edwardsville, Ill. on the way to St. Louis.

http://www.222bakery.com

Collinsville, Ill is home to the fascinating Cahokia Mounds, well worth a visit as well.

http://www.cahokiamounds.org

Also check out a great St. Louis food blog http://www.stlbites.com
no avatar
User

Caroline K

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Caroline K » Tue May 24, 2011 2:08 pm

Thanks Ed-will do! We are staying in Chesterfield. Hopefully we can detour a bit either on way there or way home..thanks for the TIPS and sites!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue May 24, 2011 2:49 pm

Ed Vermillion wrote:Also check out a great St. Louis food blog http://www.stlbites.com

Whoa! A site sort of like us! I haven't been able to find many of those around the US. Thanks, Ed. I'm going to get in touch and see if they'd like to swap links.
no avatar
User

Will Terry

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon May 04, 2009 4:00 pm

by Will Terry » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:01 pm

The wife and I are taking a vacation to St. Louis in a few weeks... the places we have decided to eat:

Rooster for brunch... heard wonderful things...

Blues City Deli for lunch... popular on UrbanSpoon... I miss good delis!

Farmhaus for dinner one night. Popular on the forums Robin mentioned... seems like a wonderful place to try...

Italian the other night, apparently St Louis has a large selection of good italian.

We are looking forward to the trip... lots of things we want to see and do in the city.