Hitting the road? Ask questions about dining out anywhere, and post your trip reports here!

OMAHA??!!!

Moderator: Robin Garr

User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

OMAHA??!!!

by Marsha L. » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:30 pm

John's going to Omaha for the summer on business. Yes, he'll travel back and forth several times, but basically he's stuck in a hotel there for 16 weeks, with all his meals paid for within reason.

Help? Aren't they known for steaks? Sure, I can search the internet. I want to hear where you've been.
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
no avatar
User

Mary Beth D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:40 pm

Prospect

Re: OMAHA??!!!

by Mary Beth D » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:41 pm

One of my best friends lives in Lincoln, and I have been there to visit a few times. The one thing I remember is these kind of individual meat/cabbage pies called runzas. Never had one, but they are supposed to be very Nebraskan and popular there - special runza restaurants and such. They do "loose meat" sandwiches there, too - but I have also seen those in Iowa. Oh, and Valentino's Pizza is really wonderful - I bet they have an outlet in Omaha somewhere. It's a local chain, along the lines of Boombozz. Fine dining, now I don't know about that!
User

John Greenup

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:03 pm

Oldham County

by John Greenup » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:02 am

If he grows tired of steak, he may opt for Italian...two of the last remaining Grisanti's Italian Restaurants (once based in Louisville) operate in Nebraska -- one in Omaha and the other in Lincoln. Visit them at, http://www.grisantis.net
"I want to go where the hand of man has never set foot."

-- Samuel Goldwyn
no avatar
User

Megan Watts

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:44 am

Louisville

by Megan Watts » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:35 pm

My SIL is a secret service agent in Omaha! I haven't been there, but I did see a place on Diners, Drive ins and Dives called Amato's that looked really good. They had homemade Italian fare.
I've also heard they have an awesome zoo (from my inlaws) and a lot of really great parks.