Hitting the road? Ask questions about dining out anywhere, and post your trip reports here!

Sichuan Bistro - Mason, OH

Moderator: Robin Garr

no avatar
User

Corey A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:44 pm

Paintsville

Sichuan Bistro - Mason, OH

by Corey A » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:24 pm

This will be my first experience with authentic Sichuan cuisine. Any suggestions for this noobie?

http://sichuanbistro.com/Authentic_Sichuan_Menu.pdf

I was thinking maybe one dish from each category... and I especially want to try the tea smoked duck. I will only be with one other diner, but that won't stop me from ordering a ridiculous spread of food.

Thanks for your time!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Sichuan Bistro - Mason, OH

by Robin Garr » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:25 pm

Corey, dry chili chicken and ma po tofu were both favorites of mine at Red Pepper. Cumin lamb is a very interesting West China Muslim dish - not really Sichuan, but out where China meets the -stans. You have to love cumin to enjoy it, though. There's a lot if it in there!
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

by John Hagan » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:09 am

We also really enjoy Cumin Lamb. One of our other favorites is the beef tendon,its much more delicious than it might sound. We have had it served both hot and cold,good either way. In addition to very pronounced beef flavor,its a textural experience. Im having trouble trying to come up with description of the texture,but something like a stiff fat that melts in your mouth.
The tall one wants white toast, dry, with nothin' on it.
And the short one wants four whole fried chickens, and a Coke.
no avatar
User

Corey A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Paintsville

by Corey A » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:21 am

I appreciate your responses!

I have read through the old threads about Red Pepper also, so I should be able to piece together a very nice meal.

Cheers!
no avatar
User

Corey A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Paintsville

by Corey A » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:51 am

This place is pretty incredible!

We ended up getting tea smoked duck, yushang eggplant, dry red chili chicken, cumin lamb, mapo tofu, and baby bok choy with minced garlic.

When they brought out the red dry chili chicken, I knew we were in for a treat. It packed a good amount of chili wallop and also the very unique sensation of Sichuan peppercorn. The best fried chicken dish I've ever had!

The tea smoked duck was some of the best meat I've ever experienced.

Yushang eggplant is a triple threat of smoky, sweet, and spicy goodness.

The family waitresses were very nice and accommodating, although they couldn't help but giggle that I ordered such a huge spread of food for just two people. One of them even gave us a recommendation on her favorite Chinese white "wine". It made for a good digestif. 110 proof rocket fuel brought us out of our food coma! Hah!

I would highly recommend this place to anyone that is in the greater Cincinnati area. It is worth the drive to the suburbs.