Hitting the road? Ask questions about dining out anywhere, and post your trip reports here!

natchitoches la

Moderator: Robin Garr

User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

natchitoches la

by John Hagan » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:45 am

Well first off its pronounced "nack a tish". I was down there last week for a job, and in addition to the typical Louisiana fare, I found the Natchitoches Meat pie. This is very similar to an empanada. The dough is made with wheat flour,the filling is a mix of beef,pork,onions,peppers,spices and then fried in peanut oil. These guys are quite tasty and could be found all over the town,including variations that contained alligator,crayfish and other regional favorites. Despite my co workers reluctance to try anything other than Subway,KFC or vending machines,they all agreed the meat pie was awesome and turned out to be our go to lunch for the rest of the week. So now I have another one to add to my list of filled meat pastries,Jamaican meat pie,Michigan pastys,empanadas, fried periogies,calzones...Im sure Im forgetting some here..but every culture must a version of this.

I was going to take a pic of one,but the guys I work with would not let it go if they saw me taking a pic of my meal.
Heres a link to a pic of one. This is the place we most often went to.
http://www.lasyones.com/gallery/pages/03.html
The tall one wants white toast, dry, with nothin' on it.
And the short one wants four whole fried chickens, and a Coke.
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

Re: natchitoches la

by Gayle DeM » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:06 am

Oh yeah! Looks delish.

For some reason it made me think of Tourtière, the traditional Quebec Christmas Eve meat pie. It's been nearly twenty years since I lived in Canada. I think I'll have to make that this year.
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
User

Carol C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:26 pm

by Carol C » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:36 am

John,
The meat pies are on the menu at the Coach Lamp. We've had them several times and they are quite good. Richard, the chef, is from New Orleans and makes some great Cajun fare.
no avatar
User

Nancy Inman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:37 am

The Country

by Nancy Inman » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:19 pm

John, You've just discovered another Louisiana flavor. Besides the Muffuletta, you have about 1,000 to go!!!
Nancy Inman
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:11 am

Good to hear you are home safe and sound. Funny thing about this dish is the same basic variation carried over from europe. When I lived in Montana we would spend St. Paddy's day in Butte, MT. home of the infamous "Berkeley Pit". Back in the day it was the largest copper (and other minerals) mine in the world. It attracted miners from around the worls like moth to a flame. English, Scots and Welshmen flooded the area. With them came the Pasty. We ate them in droves with the locals and carried them back to Missoula, not knowing their history. Here is a great link on making them the "Butte Way". I'll always remember those St. Paddy's celebrations! They weren't for the faint hearted!

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=1 ... opic=12394