Hitting the road? Ask questions about dining out anywhere, and post your trip reports here!
User

DanB

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:47 am

San Francisco

Anyone know of a NC Triangle equivalent of Hotbytes

by DanB » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:52 am

Just moved to the Triangle (Apex). Have googled around for a hotbytes style forum without luck. Anyone have a suggestion?

Yes I know..... there is NO equivalent. But still...
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Anyone know of a NC Triangle equivalent of Hotbytes

by Robin Garr » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:45 am

DanB wrote:Yes I know..... there is NO equivalent. But still...

Thanks for the kind words, Dan. :D I'd like to hope there are equivalents, but it's a fact that over the years I've searched for similar independent local sites (in hope of setting up a Web-ring or at least a moderator therapy groun) and found very few. We linked up with one in Birmingham for a while, but it went away; and I'm pretty sure there is still an active, large Chicago-area forum.

I don't know if it's become more corporate/profit-driven in recent years, but at one point, Chowhound - later Chow.com - operated regional forums that had some potential. I think anonymity was allowed, though, which IMO inspires drive-bys and bad posts. Still, absent anything else, you might hit up chow.com and see if you can find a regional forum.
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

Re: Anyone know of a NC Triangle equivalent of Hotbytes

by Jay M. » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:26 pm

Hi DanB,

Welcome back to the States! I've always enjoyed your posts from your time in Germany, and I hope you'll be happy in your new NC home.

Are you a member of Robin's Wine Lover's forum?: Wine Lovers Page

If so, consider posting or private messaging your question to another member there, "Rahsaan", who lives in Chapel Hill. He seems quite the connoisseur of all things food and wine. If he cannot direct you to a forum similar to Hotbytes, he can surely give you recommendations on good places in the Triangle area. Maybe Robin can facilitate an introduction(?). Another frequent contributor there is "JC (NC)", who lives in Fayetteville, and she might have ideas. Good luck and keep in touch here.