Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

mandoline

no avatar
User

vern cline

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:07 am

mandoline

by vern cline » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:16 pm

I am looking for a mandoline. Just the two of us, children are grown, so don't need anything for high volume. Want to be able to slice vegetables thin as they slice the eggplant at Volare's "EGGPLANT FILLED WITH RICOTTA CHEESE AND BAKED". Would like to keep it under $100.
Appreciate recomendations. :?:
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: mandoline

by Robin Garr » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:30 pm

vern cline wrote:I am looking for a mandoline. Just the two of us, children are grown, so don't need anything for high volume. Want to be able to slice vegetables thin as they slice the eggplant at Volare's "EGGPLANT FILLED WITH RICOTTA CHEESE AND BAKED". Would like to keep it under $100.
Appreciate recomendations. :?:

Vern, I don't have a specific brand recommendation, but I bought a mandoline several years ago from Campbell's Gourmet Cottage. Around $50, as I recall, it wasn't their most expensive - the frame is plastic - but it's made in Germany and has held up well.

One caution - I'm sure you're aware of this, but the blades on those things are as sharp as guillotines, and you really, really do want to pay close attention to the safety tips that come with the machine and don't take risks with it. I think it could be awfully easy to take off a good chunk of finger or thumb if you're not very careful with them.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

Re: mandoline

by TP Lowe » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:50 pm

Robin Garr wrote:One caution - I'm sure you're aware of this, but the blades on those things are as sharp as guillotines, and you really, really do want to pay close attention to the safety tips that come with the machine and don't take risks with it. I think it could be awfully easy to take off a good chunk of finger or thumb if you're not very careful with them.

Right-o on the safety issue! It's easy to not want to use the "pusher" that comes with the mandoline, but don't assume you can pick the exact right moment to take your hands off the zucchini.

I have one from Chef's catalogue that is the stainless version. Given how little I use it, wish I had gotten a less-expensive kind.
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:25 pm

I also have a plastic German model and I use it quite often. It doesn't come with as many options as a metal model, but how often does a person make waffle cut fries anyway?
Can't stress the safty issue enough- I know from first finger experience.
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

by Ethan Ray » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:35 am

i recommend getting a japanese mandoline.... you're likely to find them at most asian groceries/markets... plastic but does the job.

usually is pretty easy to find them in the $30 range.

and a word of note.

any good cook (professional or not) will eventually catch a finger or thumb on a mandoline, it's mearly a right of passage.
(seriously... it WILL happen eventually)

...i know there's tons of us who can attest to this.
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.
User

James Paul

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:08 am

Seymour, Texas

by James Paul » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:21 am

Mr Ray wrote"

"and a word of note.

any good cook (professional or not) will eventually catch a finger or thumb on a mandoline, it's mearly a right of passage.
(seriously... it WILL happen eventually.

LOL Amen to that
8)
Every days a holiday and every meals a feast !
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:09 am

Try looking at any of the "Tuesday Morning" locations. I've been able to pick up some very nice, high end utensils there quite cheaply at times. I also saw a stainless steel one at TJ Max last week.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

Paul Pfister

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:57 pm

greater Germantown

by Paul Pfister » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:49 am

Dine Equipment on Preston at Hess Lane might have what your looking for also.
"a pinch or a pound, a tad or a ton"-Nuts n Stuff
no avatar
User

vern cline

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:07 am

Mandoline

by vern cline » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:35 pm

Thanks, will be buying one this week.
no avatar
User

Clay_C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 09, 2007 8:36 am

by Clay_C » Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:49 pm

Most of the Asian markets in town carry the Benriner brand. 25 or 30 bucks and better than the 100 dollar German or French models.