Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Smokin' a turkey

User

DeeDee D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:48 pm

Sellersburg, IN

Smokin' a turkey

by DeeDee D » Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:18 pm

Okay, so we bought a smoker today. Would like to smoke a whole turkey. Not sure where to start. Any suggestions on what to do??? Thanks
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Smokin' a turkey

by Robin Garr » Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:28 am

DeeDee D wrote:Okay, so we bought a smoker today. Would like to smoke a whole turkey. Not sure where to start. Any suggestions on what to do??? Thanks

Which style of smoker, DeeDee? Vertical drum or horizontal cylinder? Hot smoke or cool smoke?

My first instinct is that you might want to start with something smaller - a turkey breast, maybe? Learn the ropes on something that's easy to manage, and then make a whole turkey your project numbr two.
User

DeeDee D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sellersburg, IN

by DeeDee D » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:49 am

Robin, it's a vertical smoker. We already have the turkey, it was a gift, so thats why we were wanting to smoke it. So, if it "goes up in smoke" so to speak, we're not out anything, so I'm okay with this be a learning experience. What about a brine? Should I try one of those to keep it moist?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:05 pm

DeeDee D wrote:Robin, it's a vertical smoker. We already have the turkey, it was a gift, so thats why we were wanting to smoke it. So, if it "goes up in smoke" so to speak, we're not out anything, so I'm okay with this be a learning experience. What about a brine? Should I try one of those to keep it moist?

DeeDee, I hope we can get some real barbecue experts in here ... I do have a New Braunfels horizontal smoker, but use it more often as a grill rather than using the firebox and smoking the traditional way. I did play around with a vertical smoker some before we got the big fella (years and years ago), and I don't recall that I ever had any big problems with it ... it's basically an easy way to cook delicious stuff. My recollections are mostly that you need to spend some time with it making sure to keep a small but consistent charcoal fire, and don't open the door and look in any more than you absolutely have to.

A lot of people absolutely swear by brining turkey and pork, although I have to confess that I've tried it both ways and don't see an appreciable improvement with the brine. This may be a controversial statement, so let's see what others say. :)

I'm thinking that a turkey will be an all-day project at low temperature, but it should be great.

Here's a how-to on WhatsCookingAmerica.com, a site run by a woman who hangs out on our FoodLovers Discussion Group forum now and then. Looks like a decent tutorial with a lot of specifics:

Smoked Turkey Tips
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:42 pm

I'm for the brine. I started brining the rare whole bird that gets cooked at my house a couple of years ago. Maybe it's just a placebo effect, but I think it adds significantly to the taste.
User

James Paul

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:08 am

Seymour, Texas

by James Paul » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:06 am

Hi Ya Dee Dee De, I'll call you Dee.

How big A turkey do you have on hand?

Is your smoker vertical with a fire and water pan at the bottom?

I have done this many times. I will try to help. :D
Every days a holiday and every meals a feast !
User

DeeDee D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sellersburg, IN

by DeeDee D » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:29 pm

James, the bird in question is 13.37lbs. Its a vertical smoker w/ a water/steam pan. Hope you can help! Thanks!
User

James Paul

{ RANK }

Foodie

Seymour, Texas

by James Paul » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:26 am

Excellent weight on the turkey it will fit lol

You'll need to stoke the fire 3 maybe 4 times with charcoal embers,
So you'll need a chimney type charcoal starter or another grill and small shovel like for the fireplace will work great(you'll need to shovel those coals when ready, through that little door unless you can figure out a better way to get them in there)

A meat thermometer is a must.an oven thermometer is optional if you have one on the smoker get it in the ideal range A bag of Mesquite wood chips or hickory....Apple is great pecan is better on red meat an such.

Medium sized bag of charcoal, small won't be enough get the large and save money you might want to do this again.

Now that you have all your stuff together Get some weenie's or brats burgers or some such and test it.

Every fire will start with a pan full of lit charcoal, you'll need to fire up 3-4 times for a turkey Your looking at about 5-6 hours for 13 lbs. depending on your heat. 140-to 175 is ideal we will be looking for about that temp
at the breast bone to be at least 140 to be safe 180 if you like shoes to eat lol. I don't now about that temp business I have done them at 120 avg and never any sign of the botch, be safe that stuff can ruin your week.

All for now, let me know when your ready to do the bird.

Next: The marinade! and process.
Last edited by James Paul on Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
User

DeeDee D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sellersburg, IN

by DeeDee D » Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:06 am

James, we have all the items and I think we are ready. Gonna try for one day nest week. We are on vacation, so we will have time. Let me know what I need to get for the process! Thank you so much for your help!
User

James Paul

{ RANK }

Foodie

Seymour, Texas

by James Paul » Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:50 am

OK Dee here we go.

I am a big fan of brining a turkey for the oven. I have never tried it for smoking so we won't go there yet...it could work well but what I like for smoking is marinade.

This is not rocket science, all measurements are negotiable.

1 cup red wine vinegar
the juice of 2 lemons add rinds and all after juicing.
1/4 bottle of Worcestershire sauce
1 bottle of 99 cent bbq sauce the small one (or any you have about the place you want to get rid of )

1 can of beer ( the unleaded variety if available) or a qt from the store use a cup or so now.) save the rest .
A good palm full of pepper corns black are fine, red, white and green mix fine also.
Feel free to empty any left over wines in there or not
One onion 1/2'ed or 1/4'ed

Mix this all about and put the bird in a medium trash bag of good thickness
Pour the marinade all over the turkey seal up the bag a best you can,
pick up and flip upside down and shake.
Set it on a sheet pan or what ever you have that will hold it and refrigerate the bird for 24 hours flipping it back and forth every once and a while to keep the bird coated.

The Big Day!

Remove the bird and flip him about and set him down on a counter to approach room temperature.

Get the smoker ready from you last adventure and get the fire going
A full pan of coals fire some up in the chimney dump those in and measure out another load in the chimney dump it on top of the first and load the chimney again get those going in the chimney and dump them in.

Let those get going good and when ready add the water pan empty and then put a 2 liter of water in it when in place. put in the steam rack and the top rack in and lid the beast. Now run in the house run run or at an uninterrupted pace.

Around the sink open the bag and remove the bird and save the left over juice put him on the sheet pan and set aside.
Pour the remaining juice in a sauce pan Put the lemon and onion in the cavity of the turkey.

Look at the temp on the smoker, if in the safe zone go get the turkey, if not there but coming up, put the turkey on any way.
Lid the beast and open the side door.
Pitch in a good hand full of the wood chips dry.

I like to use dry chips because they burn and we have a water pan to boot.

Back inside take a deep breath. you have to do nothing to the turkey except watch the temp.

Take all the marinade left over in the sauce pan and bring to a simmer to reduce it a bit. not a whole bunch a little bit.
Let it cool and add a can or so of beer.
This is the baste. make a mop or use a brush or whatever for this.
It is imperative that the marinade be simmered to reduce the heat will kill any bugs.

Watch the temperature of the beast and when it starts to fall, fire up the chimney with charcoal. (Leave the lid on). Stir around for live coals in the pan and add a hand full of chips.
Add the coals via the small shovel through the side door of the smoker.
pitch in a few extra coals (4-6) in the fire pan and add another hand full
of chips. Close the door and take off the lid to let her breath.
Liberally baste the bird and put the lid on. Watch the temp start to come up and your good for another couple of hours.

I don't like tending the fire with lid off because the ashes tend to fly up and pester the bird.

You'll go through the last paragraph three or four times figuring 2 hours per fire. Don't forget to check the water and add if necessary being carefulful NOT to spill it in the fire pan.

If you run low on the baste just pour in another beer.
After about 5-6 hours of this poke him with the meat thermometer
If at 140 you have hit 160, juice should run clear.

DO NOT let the fire go out and the bird cool down until it's done.
Doing so could expose friends and family to the misery.
Salmonella and some such.

Once you've done this it will become second nature to you.
If you want to call here E-mail or PM me, I have a 800 number you can use.

I like to drink massive amounts of beer while the bird smokes but that's just me LOL.

good luck, call if you like.

JP
User

Ryan B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:22 pm

Fire Control

by Ryan B » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:48 am

If you want a really good tutorial on how to use your new smoker and the best technique for get a good long burn out of your coals, you must check this site... http://wiviott.com/ . Great advice and some good and easy recipes as well.
no avatar
User

vern cline

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:07 am

by vern cline » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:35 pm

For our wedding 25 years ago at the recomendation of a Arkansas farmer we smoked a turkey on the bottom of the smoker and a ham on the top letting th ham juices drip over the turkey. Have experimented over the years, like to finish it off without the water on higher heat to cook more of the fat out.
User

James Paul

{ RANK }

Foodie

Seymour, Texas

Re: Fire Control

by James Paul » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:06 am

Ryan B wrote:If you want a really good tutorial on how to use your new smoker and the best technique for get a good long burn out of your coals, you must check this site... http://wiviott.com/ . Great advice and some good and easy recipes as well.

All great technique there. Chunk charcoal is the best.if you can find it I used to get it at Kroger long ago. if you want to run a dry water pan don't even put
the water pan in. Start a fire with regular fire with hickory.

Thanks for the post Ryan!
User

James Paul

{ RANK }

Foodie

Seymour, Texas

by James Paul » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:11 am

vern cline wrote:For our wedding 25 years ago at the recomendation of a Arkansas farmer we smoked a turkey on the bottom of the smoker and a ham on the top letting th ham juices drip over the turkey. Have experimented over the years, like to finish it off without the water on higher heat to cook more of the fat out.

How did it turn out Vern? Are you referring to the ham cooking out more fat?