Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Steaks and sauce

no avatar
User

Kris Billiter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

Downtown

Steaks and sauce

by Kris Billiter » Wed May 09, 2007 11:06 am

So I am thinking of doing some ribeyes in my cast iron skillet Friday night. I would like to make a sauce out of what's left after I take the steaks out. I will season the steaks with a little oil, salt and pepper. ANy thoughts?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Steaks and sauce

by Robin Garr » Wed May 09, 2007 11:28 am

Kris Billiter wrote:So I am thinking of doing some ribeyes in my cast iron skillet Friday night. I would like to make a sauce out of what's left after I take the steaks out. I will season the steaks with a little oil, salt and pepper. ANy thoughts?

Really easy: deglaze the skillet (after pouring off most of the accumulated fat) with about 1/2 cup of dry red wine. When it reduces to almost a syrup, pour it over the steaks.

Almost as easy and a little more calorific: Give it a Burgundian treatment. When the steak is ready - best to stop on the rare side of your target as it will cook a little more with carryover heat - put it on a plate and keep it warm. Reduce heat to medium and, in the same skillet, adding a little olive oil if needed, saute some finely minced shallots (or sweet onion) until it starts to color. Stir 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard into 1/2 cup heavy cream, and add to the cooking onions, simmering until it thickens. Season to taste, and there's your sauce.
no avatar
User

Kris Billiter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Downtown

Thanks!

by Kris Billiter » Wed May 09, 2007 12:04 pm

Sounds great! Thanks Robin. A couple of questions for you. Can this go without the mustard? I am very allergic. Bad things happen. You'd be shocked with how many recipes call for mustar :D As for the wine. For reasons that are more family centered than religious, I don't partake in alcohol. Severe alcoholism runs all through my family, and to be honest it scares me. The times I 've had it I really liked it, so I avoid it at all cost. Not preaching, jus tfo rme. With that said, I have had Fre by Sutter homes. I know this is an abomination to you, but will it do considering my circumstances?

Kris
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Thanks!

by Robin Garr » Wed May 09, 2007 12:21 pm

Kris Billiter wrote:Sounds great! Thanks Robin. A couple of questions for you. Can this go without the mustard? I am very allergic. Bad things happen. You'd be shocked with how many recipes call for mustar :D As for the wine. For reasons that are more family centered than religious, I don't partake in alcohol. Severe alcoholism runs all through my family, and to be honest it scares me. The times I 've had it I really liked it, so I avoid it at all cost. Not preaching, jus tfo rme. With that said, I have had Fre by Sutter homes. I know this is an abomination to you, but will it do considering my circumstances?

Kris, of course I respect your personal choice. No problem there! As for Fré and other non-alcoholic wines, "abomination" is really a strong word, but in my experience the problem with the non-alcoholic wines is that they're made from cheap, industrially produced fruit that wouldn't be very good even in a real wine. I would steer clear. Nor would I suggest using grape juice, for fear that the sugars in a sweet fruit drink would caramelize and make odd flavors in a reduction sauce. Really, with a black iron skillet, you can make a decent non-alcoholic deglaze/reduction by just adding water - or better yet, beef broth - and maybe a squirt or two of lemon.

As for the mustard, umm ... I'm hard pressed to come up with a substitute, but the recipe should work with just heavy cream. Or if you want to boost up the flavor, maybe stir in a few capers (rinsed if they're too vinegary for you), or maybe a small ration of cornichons or similar tart, unsweet pickles cut into tiny dice?

Say (total change of subject), you're not by any chance related to Bill Billiter, who used to be city editor at the old Louisville Times back in the '70s?
no avatar
User

Kris Billiter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Downtown

Thanks

by Kris Billiter » Wed May 09, 2007 12:25 pm

Robin,
You are great! Thanks for the helpful suggestions. I will try it with the beef broth and maybe some capers! To my knowledge, I am not related to Bill Billiter. Thanks again for the help.