Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

new Kingsolver book

no avatar
User

C. Devlin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:42 pm

new Kingsolver book

by C. Devlin » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:02 am

It's not local, but I wasn't sure where else to post this.

Intro to an interview at Salon, with link....

A year of eating locally

Acclaimed author Barbara Kingsolver discusses the sexiness of gardening, the relationship between activism and art, and the allure of homegrown asparagus

By Meredith Maran

April 30, 2007 | Barbara Kingsolver published her first work of advocacy journalism at age 9, when her Op-Ed, "Why We Need a New Elementary School," helped pass a local school bond. She put writing aside to get a master's degree in evolutionary biology, which led to a job as a science writer, which led to a career as a freelance journalist. Journalism led to fiction; the rest is history.

"The Bean Trees," Kingsolver's first novel, was published in 1988 to great acclaim. With 2 million copies sold, it remains in print. Eleven others followed; all told, Kingsolver's titles have sold 7 million copies. Few American writers have managed to so seamlessly merge their radical politics and commercial success. "If we can't, as artists, improve on real life," Kingsolver says, "we should put down our pencils and go bake bread." Indeed, in her new book, "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life," she does both.

Part memoir, part investigative journalism, part cookbook, "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" is co-authored by Kingsolver's environmental scientist husband, Steven Hopp, and their then-19-year-old daughter, Camille. Together they tell the story of the year the family spent eating only food produced on or near their southwest Virginia farm. The central narrative rings with Kingsolver's characteristic biting humor; Hopp's sidebars focus on the industry and science of food production. Camille's passionate essays, informed by youthful idealism and by her sharp intelligence, also include meal plans and recipes.

Kingsolver spoke to Salon from her farm about the interplay between activism and her art, writing in different genres, and the pleasures and pitfalls of writing about -- and with -- your family.

What made you choose the "American eating disorder," as you call it, as the focus of "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle"?
[continued at Salon.... http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2007/0 ... lver_food/]
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: new Kingsolver book

by Robin Garr » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:19 am

C. Devlin wrote:It's not local, but I wasn't sure where else to post this.

Intro to an interview at Salon, with link....

Interesting! Since it's a cookbook in part, this section is good as any, but don't worry, we're not that strict. :)
User

brian s

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:56 pm

Louisville KY

Kingsolver

by brian s » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:47 pm

It must be interesting, there are 113 holds on it at the library. Now 114.
b
no avatar
User

linda stephens

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:42 am

Clarksville

by linda stephens » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:45 am

It's a wonderful book!! It does however make you really think about what
you're buying in the grocery store. I would highly recommend purchasing
the book because I don't think you will want to return it. It has lots of
recipes and reference material that I plan on using. She even has me interested in learning to make my own cheese.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

"Miracle" is just that!

by Deb Hall » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:14 pm

I'm definitely with Linda on this one. I finished reading it last week, and I've been raving to everyone about it: both entertaining and really makes you think. Run, don't walk to get ahold of a copy. If you are a foodie/chef and like to cook, you will want your own copy: it's got recipes to use in each season with what's available locally u, url's for organizations, etc.

( Of course, Brian is a little concerned that I'll want to get goats for our suburban East End backyard, but that's another story :lol: )

Deb