Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Freezing Beans

User

Beth K.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 23, 2007 2:18 pm

Freezing Beans

by Beth K. » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:22 am

I feel really silly for not knowing this. But, here goes. . .

We eat a lot of beans and because I'm lazy, I've gotten in the habit of doing canned. For economic, as well as flavor reasons, I would like to start making large batches of dried and freezing them in smaller portions. How do I do this? Can I just drain and put into a freezer bag? When I'm ready to cook with them, can they go straight from the freezer to the dish or do they need to be thawed?
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:08 pm

Jeffersonville, Indiana

Re: Freezing Beans

by Lois Mauk » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:26 am

Haven't tried it myself, but I found this at http://www.centralbean.com:
Freezing Cooked Beans

If you plan to freeze all of the beans you cook, it’s a good idea to undercook them. This usually means cooking about 30 minutes less than the suggested cooking times. If you cook beans in your pressure cooker, reduce the cooking time by 1 to 1½ minutes. Undercooking will help the beans maintain their shape and texture as they thaw and reheat.

Freeze beans in 1 to 2 cup portions so they’ll be easy to thaw and use. Freezer containers should be airtight and moisture proof. Leave enough space at the top of the container for expansion of the beans. Fill the container to 1 to 1½ inches from the top, making sure the beans are covered with liquid so they won't dry out.

Cooked beans will keep in the freezer 2 to 3 months. After that time their flavor and texture will begin to deteriorate.

Thawing and Reheating Frozen Beans

Beans maintain their shape better if they are thawed slowly. Thaw them overnight in the refrigerator, for several hours at room temperature, or for about an hour in a pan of warm water. When the beans can be removed from their freezer container, put them in a saucepan to reheat and finish cooking.

Bring the beans to a boil slowly over medium heat to avoid scorching. Then reduce the heat and simmer until the beans are tender, 20 to 30 minutes. The time the beans need to simmer will depend on how undercooked they were when you froze them. If they were fully cooked before freezing, you need only reheat them.
Make a fast friend . . . Adopt a retired racer from Greyhound Pets of America!
http://www.GPALouisville.org