Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Henckel knife replacement

no avatar
User

AmyBK

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:32 pm

Main St. days, East End nights

Henckel knife replacement

by AmyBK » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:38 am

Yesterday I had a Henckel pro series 10" bread knife snap in two while using it. I've never had that happen before and grateful to have only two small cuts on my hand. It snapped 1 inch up the blade from the handle bolster. I've had it for years but its probably the least used of my knives and have taken meticulous care of them. They are used for food only, never put in the dishwasher, hand dried and stored in knife blocks. Never beren used as a lever, hammer, screwdriver or whatever.

Does anyone have any experience dealing with Henckel on replacements? Surely this has to be a manufacturing defect. I've read their web site about sending it back to them but wondered if anyone had any actual experience on a return? Thanks.
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

Re: Henckel knife replacement

by Gayle DeM » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:06 pm

Yes, I had a 15-yr.-old Henckel Four Star 5-in. serrated/utility knife snap in two last year. They replaced in pronto without a question
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:31 pm

Henckel will replace the knife without question. I was a Henckel dealer for years and returned about a dozen. All were replaced immediately. Some were ones like yours. Couple of handles had broken. Others were obvious abuse including corrosion. All were replaced at once.

If you want, you might try taking to a dealer such as Heimerdingers. They can send it in and might even give you a replacement right on the spot. You won't need a sales receipt.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
no avatar
User

AmyBK

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:32 pm

Main St. days, East End nights

by AmyBK » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:45 pm

Steve, Gayle,
Thanks for the information. I love my Henckels. I may try to stop in Heimerdinger's tomorrow, otherwise I'll wrap it up and send it off to Henckel.