Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Please help me make queso dip

no avatar
User

JimDantin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:29 pm

Please help me make queso dip

by JimDantin » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:00 pm

I'm missing something with technique or ingredients. I've been trying to make a white cheese dip like they serve at El Nopal. I can't figure out how to get the cheese to melt/blend/dilute/thin like it is in the restaurant. All I seem to get is a stringy mess. I've tried various Mexican melting cheeses, white cheddar, and others. Not even close!

I'd appreciate whatever help you can give me.

Thanks
Jim Dantun
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Please help me make queso dip

by Marsha L. » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:19 pm

I found this recipe several places, so it must be the standard. I suspect the half-and-half is what makes it nice and oozy/pourable. Are you using a double boiler?

QUESO BLANCO

1 cup finely shredded cheese (Monterey Jack, Asadero or Chihuahua)
4 oz. cream cheese (1/2 of an 8 oz. pkg)
4 oz fresh green chiles, chopped
1/4 cup half & half (more as needed)
2 tbsp finely chopped onion
2 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
1 serrano pepper, finely chopped
2 tsp cumin
salt to taste

Put all ingredients into a double boiler and cook over medioum heat until melted and well blended. Stir occasionally; more half & half may be added to create desired consistency.

And, welcome to the forum!
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:41 am

Welcome to the club, Jim.
I don't know if this is standard or not as I don't make queso, but my SIL coats the shredded cheese in a little corn starch and that seems to keep everything together and smooth.
no avatar
User

Tom Holstein

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:55 am

Derby City :)

by Tom Holstein » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:57 am

I went through a white cheese dip quest a year or so ago. Here's a link to the most useful info I found.

http://www.xenite.org/white_cheese/ques ... ecipe.html

The Asadero cheese can be quite difficult to find. American white cheese works quite well.

Gordo's Cheese Dip (usually found in WalMart deli section) is a decent product that only requires a bit of half & half to approximate El Nopal's dip.

Welcome to the forum and ¡Felíz año nuevo!
no avatar
User

JimDantin

{ RANK }

Foodie

by JimDantin » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:46 pm

Thanks everyone -- this really helps. I'll run some tests and report back with the results. It looks like I've been really going about it wrong!
no avatar
User

JimDantin

{ RANK }

Foodie

by JimDantin » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:11 pm

Test # 1

I finally found some white American cheese at Meijers. It was at their deli counter, not with the rest of the cheeses! Land o Lakes brand.

It melted just fine in a double boiler. I just kept adding half-and-half until the consistency seemed right. I didn't have any fresh jalapenos, so I used pickled. Fresh would be much better.

I used the recipe that Tom Holstein suggested as the basis of my test. Here's the final ingredient list:

White Queso Dip

½ lb white American cheese
4 oz Jalapenos, drained and chopped
1/2 C Half & Half
2 T Onion; finely chopped
2 tsp Cumin, ground
Heat all ingredients over low heat, stirring constantly, until the cheese is melted. Serve warm with corn chips.

The next batch will be with fresh peppers and I may try blending in some other cheeses and the cream cheese.

Thanks again for the help.