Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Cutting board care.

User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

Cutting board care.

by Doogy R » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:46 pm

So, how does everyone take care of their board/s? I know how I take care of mine and am curious as to how others take care of theirs. Please, do tell. Once you shall, I shall. I can't wait to see how the pros compare to at home cooks like me.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:08 pm

Jeffersonville, Indiana

Re: Cutting board care.

by Lois Mauk » Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:47 am

Doogy, what KIND of boards are you talking about? Hardwood, bamboo, silicone, glass, polypropylene, plastic, etc.?
Make a fast friend . . . Adopt a retired racer from Greyhound Pets of America!
http://www.GPALouisville.org
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:00 am

The plastic boards are dishwashed, the wood boards get scrubbed, rubbed down with kosher salt and then rinsed with water- a trick I learned on Iron Chef Japan...
User

Beth K.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 23, 2007 2:18 pm

by Beth K. » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:42 pm

Plastic go into the dishwasher.

Wood get a scrub with regular dish soap and towel dried. About every other month they get a rub down with mineral oil. I'll have to try the kosher salt scrub - that's a great idea.
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

by Doogy R » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:44 pm

Lois Mauk wrote:Doogy, what KIND of boards are you talking about? Hardwood, bamboo, silicone, glass, polypropylene, plastic, etc.?

I have several, but the one I use 99% of the time is bamboo. I love that material. After I bought it I did a thorough online search and found the best way to take care of a bamboo board. I rinse it with water, let it dry and reapply food grade mineral oil. Every so often, I take 240 grit sandpaper and smooth down the board, soak it in the oil, then I use beeswax to coat it and finally buff it to a nice shine. I actually bought a kit online and it works so well. You can click here to check it out. http://www.woodzone.com/Merchant2/merch ... Code=Waxes Not only does it protect the board; it truly brings out a great color and shows off the natural grain of the bamboo. Also, it helps retain the sharpness of your knife blade for a much longer time.

This link goes to a site with in depth instructions on caring for your board. http://whatscookingamerica.net/CuttingB ... lAbout.htm
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

by Ethan Ray » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:35 pm

Stephen D wrote:The plastic boards are dishwashed, the wood boards get scrubbed, rubbed down with kosher salt and then rinsed with water- a trick I learned on Iron Chef Japan...

Rice also works well...
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.