Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Which do you prefer?

Costco
80%
Sam's Club
20%

Total votes : 41
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:08 pm

Jeffersonville, Indiana

Costco v. Sam's?

by Lois Mauk » Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:19 pm

It's been several months now since Costco opened up in Louisville off Brownsboro Road, just outside the Gene Snyder. At the time, there was a fair amount of discussion on the old forum about this new player in the local market.

Now that you've had a chance to check out Costco, I'm curious what other forumites think of the store and what it offers to its members.

I don't know if we will keep our Sam's membership when it comes up for renewal. I'm curious what other forumites think about Costco and how they feel it compares to Sam's.

Lois
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Lois Mauk » Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:20 pm

We joined Costco several months ago and still have our membership to Sam's (which is very close to our home). Myself, I prefer Costco, though it is a fairly long drive to shop there.

I like Costco's cheese section, which has a really fine selection and excellent prices (Parmesan Reggiano for $9.99 a pound, for instance). Their Kirkland olive oil is a very good bargain. The Costco refrigerated room offers excellent produce (1 lb. clear containers of baby greens and baby spinach for less than $4). This week we found Peruvian "Oso Sweet" onions there, as well a 20 lb. bag of gigantic baking potatoes for about $6. All in all, their produce offerings are, in my opinion, superior to Sam's.

One substantial reason for us to shop at Costco is their Kirkland brand premium dog kibble, which contains no corn, wheat or soy. It's only $18 for 40 pounds, less than half of what we were paying for our last brand. Saving $20 on 40# of dog food really adds up when you are feeding three big dogs. We pick up 2 bags most every time we visit Costco. The pet section also offers greyt treats and dog beds at excellent prices.
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:35 pm

My preference for Costco stems mainly from distance. They are closer to my house than Sam's Club. I like their house brand on many products like olive oil, chicken stock, organic 1% milk, meat and almonds :) I still get a little peeved about the checking my basket bit at the end though. Loss prevention is not a subtle science for them. Does Sam's do that? I have been pleased with Costco and will renew my membership when it is up at the end of the year.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Costco v. Sam's?

by Robin Garr » Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:50 pm

Lois Mauk wrote:I'm curious what other forumites think about Costco and how they feel it compares to Sam's.

In practice, I don't do much shopping at either. We're a two-person household, and my shopping/cooking style is such that I'm much more likely to go to Lotsa Pasta, Rainbow Blossom, Burger's. Doll's or, all right, I admit it, Whole Foods, and buy just enough for dinner or at most for a few days. The big-lots concept of both Costco and Sam's doesn't really work for me, and neither is terribly convenient to us in the city.

But that said, I've joined Costco, and we go out there on occasion.

I won't shop at Sam's (or Walmart), period, and I actively discourage my friends from doing so. It's a philosophical issue with me for all the usual reasons, and I'm not shy about saying so.
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Lois Mauk » Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:00 pm

Yes, Sam's "checks" your cart at the door. I take offense at this, myself, but find the same practice in place at Costco. The latter posts a sign at the exit "explaining" that this is done to ensure that we are not "undercharged" or "overcharged" for anything.

We joined Costco several months ago and still have our membership to Sam's (which is very close to our home). Myself, I prefer Costco, though it is a fairly long drive to shop there.

I like Costco's cheese section, which has a really fine selection and excellent prices (Parmesan Reggiano for $9.99 a pound, for instance). Their Kirkland olive oil is a very good bargain. The Costco refrigerated room offers excellent produce (1 lb. clear containers of baby greens and baby spinach for less than $4). This week we found Peruvian "Oso Sweet" onions there, as well a 20 lb. bag of gigantic baking potatoes for about $6. All in all, their produce offerings are, in my opinion, superior to Sam's.

One of my favorite items is the chicken breasts ready for the freezer, packed singly (bone-in) or in pairs (boneless). The packs are on a strip and perforated. All we do is tear off the number of pieces we need and place them in the fridge for defrosting.

One substantial reason for us to shop at Costco is their Kirkland brand premium dog kibble, which contains no corn, wheat or soy. It's only $18 for 40 pounds, less than half of what we were paying for our last brand. Saving $20 on 40# of dog food really adds up when you are feeding three big dogs. We pick up 2 bags most every time we visit Costco. The pet section also offers greyt treats and dog beds at excellent prices.

My preference is for Costco, though I hope they will open one up over here in Jeffersonville to give Sam's a run for their money.

Lois
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

Costco vs Sam's.

by Doogy R » Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:41 pm

Shouldn't there also be an option for neither?
Last edited by Doogy R on Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Lois Mauk » Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:54 pm

I thought I had added an option for "Neither or no opinion", but I must have set it up incorrectly. I don't see a way to edit the existing poll. Sorry.
User

Christopher Rieger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:03 pm

Louisville, KY

Sams vs Costco

by Christopher Rieger » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:17 pm

I like both.
Last edited by Christopher Rieger on Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Kara Lewis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:34 am

Louisville, KY

by Kara Lewis » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:08 am

I'm also in a 2-person household, but we really like to make about a once-a-month trip to stock up the ol' freezer. I much prefer Costco -- number one, for all of Robin's philosophical reasons (Wal-mart is the devil's store. Just sayin'.). Number two, I think the meat department is much better, as is the seafood and cheese. Plus, great prices on books and magazines.
no avatar
User

Pam G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:19 pm

Downtown days/Northeast nights

Costco

by Pam G » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:17 pm

Costco is a few miles from my home. But even if it was further away, I would still go to Costco. The customer service alone is worth joining Costco over Sams. But a big plus is the gas is so much cheaper at Costco than the surrounding gas stations, the savings has paid for my membership many times over. I will let my Sams membership expire.
no avatar
User

MikeG

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:22 pm

Twin Cities, MN

by MikeG » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:27 pm

I'll drive 50 miles to Costco even though there's 7 Sam's/Wal-Mart's within the same distance. I stopped shopping at Wal-mart's years ago and refuse to support some place that is a drain on the national economy liek they are.
User

Joe C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:50 pm

Louisville, KY

Costco

by Joe C » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:55 pm

I think the quality and selection at Costco is better.

If I am having a party, I occasionally go to GFS(Gordon Food Service) near Bonefish on Hurstbourne. No membership fee and fairly decent selection of food to heat and serve.

Joe
Live to Ride, Ride to Eat!
User

Leann C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:42 pm

Highlands

by Leann C » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:58 pm

Put me in the "neither" group also. We just don't have room to store a sixteen pack pallet of paper towels. Plus, I love to make my daily trip to the neighborhood grocery and plan our dinner around whatever looks fresh that day. That said, Wal-Mart is the handywork of the devil...but to each his own.
User

Leann C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:42 pm

Highlands

by Leann C » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:07 pm

My husband LOVES, LOVES, LOVES Gordon Food Service. I'm a little baffled by his adoration, but hey...if it makes him happy.

When we have people over, he frequently shows off his favorite purchase. Which is this huge 32 oz. container of whole black peppercorns that we will eventually use.
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

by Doogy R » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:16 pm

Leann C wrote:When we have people over, he frequently shows off his favorite purchase. Which is this huge 32 oz. container of whole black peppercorns that we will eventually use.

Your hubby sounds like my kind of guy. I always keep a large bottle of whole black peppercorns around the kitchen myself. There just isn't too much better than freshly cracked peppercorns or freshly ground peppercorns from the mill. They really don't last that long. By the way, I'm glad to see you're in the "neither" group as well.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
Next