Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Which do you prefer?

Costco
80%
Sam's Club
20%

Total votes : 41
User

Jessica Devine

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:29 pm

Germantown

by Jessica Devine » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:23 pm

Actually, Aaron, I was at the Blankenbaker location. Maybe dumpy was the wrong word, but it certainly wasn't the way I had remembered. It seemed like there was next to nothing there. I can remember stacks and stacks of books, samples at the end of every aisle...it just didn't appeal to me like it used to.

Also, I priced a lot of items that I normally purchase at Kroger or Valu Market. There was not a big enough difference in price to justify me driving from the Highlands to Costco and buying a membership. Just my opinion though.
User

Ryan B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:22 pm

by Ryan B » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:32 pm

One of my issues with Sam's is lack of consistency

This is what they refer to as the "Treasure Hunt". I went to Bentonville, AR for meetings with both Sam's and Wal-Mart a couple of years ago and this was a big topic of discussion. It is actually an idea that Sam's borrowed from Costco. The concept is that they will maintain certain core SKU's but also have a constantly revolving selection. In their mind, the customer will be delighted be the ever changing offerings and keep coming back to see what's new. Also, as you alluded to customers might just be motivated to load up on things since they aren't sure if they will be there the next visit.
The most interesting thing to hear from Sam's execs. is their acknowledgment that Costco does a better job than they do. It seemed like Costco was the only retailer they were even a little concerned about. This is why Sam's customers will notice that in the past couple years offerings in the store have started to go upscale.
no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:34 pm

by Aaron Newton » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:45 am

Jessica Hardison wrote:Actually, Aaron, I was at the Blankenbaker location. Maybe dumpy was the wrong word, but it certainly wasn't the way I had remembered. It seemed like there was next to nothing there. I can remember stacks and stacks of books, samples at the end of every aisle...it just didn't appeal to me like it used to.

Interesting. You mentioned comparisons to when you went with your parents, maybe it's the difference in scale from being younger and being an adult? That's a phenomenon I've experienced a lot, but I may just be grabbing at straws in this case.

Regarding the "treasure hunt".. yeah that can be annoying. Thankfully most of the thing we stock up at Sam's on are staples that either don't matter as much what the brand is (we really aren't picky on most cleaning supplies, for example) or they are 'treat' like items which, once finished off, I may not want more of for a long long time. There's a box of these little frozen stuffed pizza wedges in the freezer, we've had for months. There's about a third of a box left, and I'm already getting sick of them.

But when they change out something that you depend on being there, it sucks. When they switched out the Protein powder I was using (for about two months they ONLY had chocolate, and I tend toward vanilla), I became very disgruntled.
User

Jessica Devine

{ RANK }

Foodie

Germantown

by Jessica Devine » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:58 am

Off topic, but I don't understand how to reply with the box containing the quote I'm responding to. When I click to include quote, it includes the whole response.

Anyhow, Aaron, you could be right, but I tend to think that Sam's just isn't what it used to be. My response sounds a little vague, but that's all I have this morning. :?
no avatar
User

Pam G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:19 pm

Downtown days/Northeast nights

by Pam G » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:42 am

Off topic, but I don't understand how to reply with the box containing the quote I'm responding to. When I click to include quote, it includes the whole response.

Jessica, It is easy. Just highlight what you want to quote, right clip and copy. Then when you post a reply. Click on "Quote" then right click and paste the text you want to quote, the click on "Quote" again.
no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:34 pm

Re: Quote

by Aaron Newton » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:37 pm

Pam G wrote:Jessica, It is easy. Just highlight what you want to quote, right clip and copy. Then when you post a reply. Click on "Quote" then right click and paste the text you want to quote, the click on "Quote" again.

O_o Or she could just delete the portion that she doesn't need when using the reply with quote button, as described. That'd likely be 'easier'.

Jessica: everything in phpBB, like most web boards these days, works on HTML like tags. All text in your message is yours to control, the quote reply button just automates it by copying the post you are responding to and placing the quote tags around the person's message and also places a quote attribution into the tag as well... all of which you could do yourself by typing them out, or using the buttons just above the window in which you type your message. You can edit anything you want and are usually encouraged to do so for neatness and clarity.

There's a link in several places on the board showing you all the BBcode available, and how to use. It's pretty simple and doesn't take long to get used to using. Most of what you will usually need can be handled by automated buttons as described above, but understanding what they do can help greatly as well.
User

Jessica Devine

{ RANK }

Foodie

Germantown

Re: Quote

by Jessica Devine » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:15 pm

Thanks Aaron and Pam. I'll have to do some experimenting with that later.
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:42 pm

My husband jokingly (I think) refers to Costco as my second home. I get the twitches when we drive by. There are only two of us in the house, but we stop by there about once every two weeks to stock up....their ground beef is lean and delicious, we love the pita chips and hummus, their cottage cheese, and the 3lbs of fresh, sliced pineapple for $8 can't be beat.
Previous