Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.
User

Mandy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:41 pm

Old Louisville

Where to find Pomegranate molasses?

by Mandy R » Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:00 pm

Does anyone know of a place that sells Pomegranate molasses? I need it for a recipe I am doing, last year I had to make my own as I wasn't able to find it.
User

Carol C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:26 pm

Re: Where to find Pomegranate molasses?

by Carol C » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:11 pm

I'm pretty sure that I got some at Lotsa Pasta several years ago. There was an article in the paper so I bought some. Never used it. Would love to know what you plan to do with it--sounds soooo intriguing!!!
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:56 pm

A MiddleEastern grocery will definitely have it. Sorry, can't recommend a specific place- the one I used to go to closed several years ago and I haven't tracked down a new one.

ValueMarket always has a good section of MiddleEastern groceries, and I wouldn't be surprised if they had it in Meijer's ethnic section.

DEb
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:31 am

I have a bottle- I would gladly give you some- how much do you need?
User

Mandy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Old Louisville

by Mandy R » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:04 pm

Well for three turkeys it would require about 6 cups...to answer your question Carol, I am doing a version of roast turkey that starts out with a fresh sage/roasted garlic/real butter mixture coating the turkeys, then 30 min before finish glazing the birds with a pomegranate molasses/fresh black pepper with a bit of horseradish and dijon mustard mixture. I have done this once before and it turns out wonderful!
User

Carol C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:26 pm

by Carol C » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:10 pm

WOW!!! Does that sound fabulous!!! I will definitely try that!!! May need your recipe. Enjoy--sounds like a wonderful event that you are hosting. Merry Christmas to you and all your guests!
no avatar
User

Sonja W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:00 pm

by Sonja W » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:15 pm

I've purchased pomegranate molasses at Al Watan Bakery on Klondike Lane. It's a pretty standard item in Middle Eastern groceries, and that one has a good selection. Great prices, too, on nuts and olive oil, and the yogurt is superb.
User

Mandy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Old Louisville

by Mandy R » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:54 pm

Well it's a recipe by Bobby Flay that I saw last year on Rachel Ray, I tried it out on a small get together of friends and it went over very well, they were actually fighting over the leftovers! Here's the link http://www.rachaelrayshow.com/food/reci ... per-glaze/
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:55 am

6 cups :shock: Well, my 6 oz bottle won't even begin to tackle that.
User

Mandy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Old Louisville

by Mandy R » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:40 pm

Well at this point I have pretty much figured on making my own due to the quantity needed this year. Just found my recipe card for it, very simple but also turns out very well!

4 cups pomegranate juice
1/2 sugar (decrease if the juice is already sweetened)
1/4 cup lemon juice

In a large uncovered saucepan mix all ingredients and heat on med-high until sugar has melted and liquid has come to a simmer. Reduce heat to just enough to maintain simmer for about one hour or the mixture has a syrupy consistency and has reduced to about 1-1 1/4 cups. Pour into a container, cool , and then store in the refridgerator. I think it will keep for about a month.