Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Where to find Pomegranate molasses?

no avatar
User

Mandy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:41 pm

Old Louisville

Where to find Pomegranate molasses?

by Mandy R » Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:00 pm

Does anyone know of a place that sells Pomegranate molasses? I need it for a recipe I am doing, last year I had to make my own as I wasn't able to find it.
no avatar
User

Carol C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:26 pm

Re: Where to find Pomegranate molasses?

by Carol C » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:11 pm

I'm pretty sure that I got some at Lotsa Pasta several years ago. There was an article in the paper so I bought some. Never used it. Would love to know what you plan to do with it--sounds soooo intriguing!!!
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:56 pm

A MiddleEastern grocery will definitely have it. Sorry, can't recommend a specific place- the one I used to go to closed several years ago and I haven't tracked down a new one.

ValueMarket always has a good section of MiddleEastern groceries, and I wouldn't be surprised if they had it in Meijer's ethnic section.

DEb
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:31 am

I have a bottle- I would gladly give you some- how much do you need?
no avatar
User

Mandy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Old Louisville

by Mandy R » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:04 pm

Well for three turkeys it would require about 6 cups...to answer your question Carol, I am doing a version of roast turkey that starts out with a fresh sage/roasted garlic/real butter mixture coating the turkeys, then 30 min before finish glazing the birds with a pomegranate molasses/fresh black pepper with a bit of horseradish and dijon mustard mixture. I have done this once before and it turns out wonderful!
no avatar
User

Carol C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:26 pm

by Carol C » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:10 pm

WOW!!! Does that sound fabulous!!! I will definitely try that!!! May need your recipe. Enjoy--sounds like a wonderful event that you are hosting. Merry Christmas to you and all your guests!
no avatar
User

Sonja W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:00 pm

by Sonja W » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:15 pm

I've purchased pomegranate molasses at Al Watan Bakery on Klondike Lane. It's a pretty standard item in Middle Eastern groceries, and that one has a good selection. Great prices, too, on nuts and olive oil, and the yogurt is superb.
no avatar
User

Mandy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Old Louisville

by Mandy R » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:54 pm

Well it's a recipe by Bobby Flay that I saw last year on Rachel Ray, I tried it out on a small get together of friends and it went over very well, they were actually fighting over the leftovers! Here's the link http://www.rachaelrayshow.com/food/reci ... per-glaze/
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:55 am

6 cups :shock: Well, my 6 oz bottle won't even begin to tackle that.
no avatar
User

Mandy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Old Louisville

by Mandy R » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:40 pm

Well at this point I have pretty much figured on making my own due to the quantity needed this year. Just found my recipe card for it, very simple but also turns out very well!

4 cups pomegranate juice
1/2 sugar (decrease if the juice is already sweetened)
1/4 cup lemon juice

In a large uncovered saucepan mix all ingredients and heat on med-high until sugar has melted and liquid has come to a simmer. Reduce heat to just enough to maintain simmer for about one hour or the mixture has a syrupy consistency and has reduced to about 1-1 1/4 cups. Pour into a container, cool , and then store in the refridgerator. I think it will keep for about a month.