Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Good recipe for sweet potatoes?

no avatar
User

Mandy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:41 pm

Old Louisville

Good recipe for sweet potatoes?

by Mandy R » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:07 am

Ok I said I would post this as a separate thread....Basically I am cooking Christmas dinner for about 80 people, and as I love sweet potatoes the last two years I have done this meal I have included them. Unfortunately most people don't feel the same, and I am looking for a good recipe that will win over the crowd. I say I do love them, but that doesn't mean I want a ton of leftovers!
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

Re: Good recipe for sweet potatoes?

by GaryF » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:52 pm

I don't like adding sugar to sweet potatos since I think they are delicious just the way they are so my favorite preparation in to roast them till soft, let them cool a bit slip off the jackets then mash with butter and a little orange juice and quite a bit of orange zest. This can be reheated in the oven or on top the stove.
Mandy- I have a couple of full sized restaurant pans I can lend you for this extravaganza if you need them.
Is this taking place at your work? Would it help at all to rent another oven so you are not so cramped? They really are not that expensive to rent.
Good luck.
no avatar
User

C. Devlin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:42 pm

by C. Devlin » Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:43 pm

I'm with Gary, only I roast mine for about 2 hours, til they get really caramelized, and that's it. As far as I'm concerned, doing anything to them beyond that is way superfluous and doesn't do anything except to mess with a good thing.

THAT said, however, since you're baking for such a crowd, you may want a single dish of sweet potatoes. I also used to do something like Gary's mashed sweet potatoes, but with an addition of rum.

Beyond that, try googling Emeril Lagasse for some sweet potato recipes. He does a bunch and he's good with them.
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:20 pm

C. Devlin wrote:I'm with Gary, only I roast mine for about 2 hours, til they get really caramelized, and that's it. As far as I'm concerned, doing anything to them beyond that is way superfluous and doesn't do anything except to mess with a good thing.

THAT said, however, since you're baking for such a crowd, you may want a single dish of sweet potatoes. I also used to do something like Gary's mashed sweet potatoes, but with an addition of rum.

Beyond that, try googling Emeril Lagasse for some sweet potato recipes. He does a bunch and he's good with them.

Yes! The last time I roasted sweet potatoes I forgot about two which I left in the oven for am extra hour- best sp's I ever ate.
no avatar
User

Mandy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:41 pm

Old Louisville

by Mandy R » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:09 pm

Well I may have to leave off the rum as this will be a group of on duty EMS crews, lol I could see what could happen there! Thanks for the great suggestions guys, that will certainly help.

Really Gary? I wonder what size....that would really help out on cutting out costs for pans since I am cutting as many corners as I can at this point. Oh and in regards to location, I do all of this out of my home, they just send the trucks as they are available to stop by. Since it's considered to be basically a voluntary deal I have to provide everything on my own so I make due with the equipement that I have. I have learned to do as much prep work as possible ahead of time so since this is my third year doing this I think I have worked out all the kinks for the timing by now! (well that's the hope at least :) )