Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.
User

Erin Riedel

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:14 pm

Germantown

Where can I get candied angelica??

by Erin Riedel » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:53 pm

My mom's coming over tomorrow to make stollen with me and the recipe calls for candied angelica. Any idea where I can get it? I tried Nuts N Stuff and they don't have it. Last year I just used extra candied fruit and it was fine, but I'd really like to actually follow the recipe (from my German grandpa) if possible!
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Where can I get candied angelica??

by Marsha L. » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:26 pm

Erin Riedel wrote:My mom's coming over tomorrow to make stollen with me and the recipe calls for candied angelica. Any idea where I can get it? I tried Nuts N Stuff and they don't have it. Last year I just used extra candied fruit and it was fine, but I'd really like to actually follow the recipe (from my German grandpa) if possible!

I'm not sure you can. I had never heard of it and I called Donnie Walker at Creation Gardens and HE'D never heard of it, which means it's probably pretty rare. From web pictures it looks sort of like rhubarb or celery. If you are really determined, I would suggest you candy some fennel - apparently, angelica is licorice-flavored, so that would be sort of the same flavor profile.

Good luck, Erin!
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:49 pm

Erin,

As a long-shot, try calling Nature's Magic ( an herbal/holistic store)on Brownsboro Road. They have a lot of herbs and other candied roots/herbs. Like I said- a long shot...

Deb
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:48 am

You might call the International Market on Taylorsville Rd- they specialize in Eastern European fare -they might have the angelica.
User

Erin Riedel

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:14 pm

Germantown

by Erin Riedel » Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:19 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, and extra thanks to Marsha for calling Creation Gardens for me! Because we were kind of short on time, we went ahead and made the stollen and just put in extra candied fruit. Next year I'll plan ahead and track down some angelica though!