Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

Re: it's christmas and panatone time

by GaryF » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:04 am

Annemarie, you are evidently a woman of exceptional taste.
I have three on my shelf right now. LOVE them!!
I've posted this before, but I'll do it again it's so good. Panetone makes a delicious bread pudding and yummy French (Italian?) toast.
no avatar
User

C. Devlin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:42 pm

by C. Devlin » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:14 am

Technically, though, isn't it a bread?... In the same sort of Christmas breads genre as the Norwegian Julekake, the German or Dutch stollen, or the Austrian Kugelhopf (which is called cake but more bread-like)? Even though they're all so similar, I prefer the Julekake, of the Christmas breads with fruit, or anyway the version I grew up with, which was less sweet. But that may just have everything to do with growing up with Norwegian rather than Italian Christmas goodies.

But I think my favorite Italian Christmas bread is pandoro. I love the way the whole thing can be peeled away in lovely gauzy strands. And I love the flavor (without the boat load of powdered sugar which always seemed way over the top to me, and ditto the stollen). We used to get pandoro and panettone from Italy every year for Christmas (until the parent office decided they were spending a fortune and dropped the whole thing), and Gary's invariably go for the panettone and I'd devour and entire pandoro. Oh and the buccellato which I love but can eat only in small helpings, it's so rich.
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

by Heather Y » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:12 am

Last week , made a Pannetone bread pudding in eggnog custard! That is one rich, lush dish. Yum.